Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can a large Rifle primer be used safely in a large pistol

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    I have a favourite load for my Ruger .357 Blackhawk using 2400. Several years ago when small pistol primers became scarce, I substituted small rifle primers. Knowing that is a no-no, and the Ruger has plenty of meat around the chambers, I loaded some.

Well, what was a nice pleasant round, it went into +P range.

Outcome is that I still shoot it...emptys extract easily and no flattened primers.

So, yes, in my case, no harm.

As I mentioned before, do start at a very reduced starting load and watch for the high pressure signs.

Cheers.
    Johnny

I miss America
    Sent from my keyboard using hunt-n-peck...
    SCIENTIA SIT POTENTIA

Posts liked by others
    Here is the reply from the fellow with two S&W fishing weights:
    Out of Hodgdon Manual #26
    240 GR. JSP
    H110 23 GRS.
    Should been around 35,200 cup
    I broke down 49 bullets and check them found one low at 21 GRS.
    Checked every bullet all OK
    Primer was green showed to be Magnum Rifle
    I had shot 50 target loads then fired 1 hunting load each time, detonated the Model 29 came home and checked my loads went back with the 629 same each time first round both guns blown to along with my EO sight.

Posts liked by others
    http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

Primer: Remington 2 1/2, Large Pistol from the same manual...
    Johnny

I miss America
    SCIENTIA SIT POTENTIA

Posts liked by others
    Yep, that error cost him two beautiful guns

Posts liked by others
    Is his name Homer Simpson????? D'OH!!
    Johnny

I miss America
    SCIENTIA SIT POTENTIA

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by ssg3000 View Post
    Hey guys I am new to reloading pistols.I have been reloading rifle for 4 to 5 years now.I read a post were a guy says he uses large rifle match primers in large pistols.Can this be done safely and is this a common practice.I have 1000,s of large rifle match primers.Thanks Jeff
    No, don't risk, go and get the proper primers, it might be dangerous.
    Originality can't be restored, so put "originality" at the top of a priority list. If JMB didn't put it on the 1911 you don't need it.
    Last edited by Sergio Natali; 31st July 2015 at 12:21.

Posts liked by others
    As was previously mentioned, the rifle primers are a bit harder, so they might not ignite if you have a weak firing pin strike. For many firearms, it will work though, but if you are wanting to create a max load, you should back off on the powder and work up the load from scratch. During the height of the powder shortage, we had to either be willing to experiment with non-optimal powders unless we wanted to just sit at home complaining about there not being any powder available. As an experiment, I tried a full case of .50 BMG and 20mm powders in a 10mm. My gut feeling was that even with magnum primers, there just was not enough spark to get these powders to burn well in a pistol length barrel. My gut feeling was right -- they expelled the bullet from the barrel, but did not have enough power to cycle the slide. I determined that I would have to be pretty desperate to have to resort to those powders for a handgun.

Posts liked by others
    Also most interested in nature of reloading errors. Help us put this expen$ive lesson to good use, eh. Thanks for the post.

Posts liked by others
    Large rifle primers won't seat in large pistol primer pockets.

Small rifle primers will work in small pistol cases.

Winchester and Remington used small rifle primers in their original .357 Magnum loadings...which was a completely different critter than today's .357 ammo.

Posts liked by others

This is for RWS primers but you get the picture:

10mg (milli gram) = 0.154grains

The middle one (24mg) is an error and should read "Small Rifle"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast