Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: GSG magazines fall out

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

GSG magazines fall out

I put an older Marvel conversion on a RI GI. Fits and works great, but the metal GSG magazines I bought fall out as I'm shooting. They click nice and loud when inserted, and you can't pull them out, but while shooting they will suddenly fall out, usually on the first or second shot. They fall out after the next round chambers, as there is always a live round ready to go in the chamber when the mag falls out. I replaced the mag catch, no improvement. Any ideas?
    Glenn

Posts liked by others
    Try a Kimber magazine.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Fieldstrip and insert the .22 magazine in the frame. See if perhaps it can move front to rear under firing, escaping the magazine catch in the process.

You'll still need other mags, though.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyros View Post
    Fieldstrip and insert the .22 magazine in the frame. See if perhaps it can move front to rear under firing, escaping the magazine catch in the process.

You'll still need other mags, though.
    Thanks Spyros, I think you hit it. The magazine has quite a bit of fore-and-aft play at the top, and pushing it to the rear causes it to fall out. There is a rib running up the back of the magazine which brings it up to the same dimension as a 45 magazine, but this rib steps down .050" in the upper 1.625 of the magazine, allowing the movement. Now I just need to figure out how to attach a shim up there so it will fit properly. Thanks again!

Posts liked by others
    I purchased one of the GSG conversion kits to use on my RIA tactical. So far, it has been well worth the purchase price.
    While I haven't had a magazine fall out (yet), there is quite a bit of play between the mag and frame. The mag catch doesn't seem to go very deep into the notch in the mag, and I expect that I will have the same problem with it after more use (the mag catch is already starting to round out the corner of the mag catch notch).
    I've tried inserting the GSG mags in my Colt GM and they seem to fit pretty snug as compared to the RIA.

Let me know if you find a suitable fix for this issue.

Posts liked by others
    If I remember correctly you have to compress the mag catch spring during installation. The mag catch button should be pretty stiff to depress. Have you tried removing the mag catch. It is possible the catch is improperly shaped or defective.

There can be variations on actual mag well demensions, yours might be on the large side of spec. How do Centerfire mags fit the well? The GSG mag body maybe undersized or have an overly large mag catch notch. It'd be nice if you had a second GSG Mag.

Posts liked by others
    Well, the fix worked, although I talked a fellow at the Bullseye match Saturday that uses GSG magazines in his Foster frame, and he hasn't had any problems, so this shouldn't be necessary for all 1911 frames.

This shows the rib running up the the back of the GSG magazine, and how it steps down at the top:

I work in a machine shop, so I took a piece of scrap aluminum and milled it 1.375" long, as wide as the magazine, and as thick as the height of the rib that runs up the back of the GSG magazine, and milled a groove that is a little larger than the rib, to allow room for epoxy:

I cleaned the magazine, scratched it up a little with sandpaper, and epoxied the shim to the back of the magazine:

This shows magazines with and without the shim:

I have three magazines that I added shims to, so I took them to the range and gave them all a workout. No more dropped magazines! Hope this helps any of you that have experienced this problem.

Glenn