Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remington R1 Models

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Remington R1 Models

I noticed that the last thread about the R1 has been closed over a year now, so I thought I'd bring it up again for any new thoughts, etc. Last December I bought a new R1 Commander and couldn't be more pleased. I've taken it to the range three times since then and have put 720 rounds downrange. This includes seven different brands of 230 gr FMJ as well as 20 rounds of Remington 230g HP.

The pistol is very tight and there are no rattles. The large three-dot sights make me look really good at the range. There are no ragged edges and the machining appears to be smooth throughout. None of the grip screws or sights came loose, either. Remington is offering a $75 rebate through May and they have a free checkup program within the first year after purchase. After factoring in the taxes, fees, etc., and factoring out the rebate I have $567 tied up in her.

I'm a life-long Colt guy and have always been skeptical about other 1911 brands, but thought I'd venture out on the proverbial limb with this one. Can anyone else share their insights/thoughts?
    -Ed-

"If you take out the killings, Washington actually has a very, very low crime rate." -- Marion Barry, Former Mayor of Washington, DC

Posts liked by others
    Late 2013 I purchase a stainless R1 full size and got the rebate. Believe it was 100.00. I also ordered a Para and it had a rebate of 75.00. Maybe I have them backwards. My R1 was very nice, smooth everywhere and functioned perfectly with very acceptable accuracy from a mass produced pistol. I found it to be a well made 1911. Of all my 1911s the ones with the roughest finishes are my Rocks. And that's just some of the inside machining. Otherwise they too are excellent.

Posts liked by others
    The desirability of pistols, like automobiles, lies in the eye of the beholder. In my opinion, Remington made a big mistake on this pistol when they relieved the top of the VIS way too much. When the barrel collides with the VIS during recoil, the point of impact is too low on the lower barrel lugs. The lug is subjected to force applied at an unnecessarily low point. Have heard no reports of lower lugs being sheared off, but the day will come!

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911jim1941 View Post
    The desirability of pistols, like automobiles, lies in the eye of the beholder. In my opinion, Remington made a big mistake on this pistol when they relieved the top of the VIS way too much. When the barrel collides with the VIS during recoil, the point of impact is too low on the lower barrel lugs. The lug is subjected to force applied at an unnecessarily low point. Have heard no reports of lower lugs being sheared off, but the day will come!
    Agreed. Definitely a "Whatever were they thinking?" situation. And, if they got that so wrong, what else did they get wrong?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911jim1941 View Post
    ......In my opinion, Remington made a big mistake on this pistol when they relieved the top of the VIS way too much. When the barrel collides with the VIS during recoil, the point of impact is too low on the lower barrel lugs. The lug is subjected to force applied at an unnecessarily low point. Have heard no reports of lower lugs being sheared off, but the day will come!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    Agreed. Definitely a "Whatever were they thinking?" situation. And, if they got that so wrong, what else did they get wrong?
    For many years I read and heard of all the supposed problems with Colt's Officer Models, both LW and standard, "strike babies", etc. Things such as broken plugs, broken springs, FTFeed and FTE; you name it. In all the OACMs I've owned none of these fears ever materialized. I've also read and heard bad stuff about the R1. Meanwhile I'll just keep driving on with this wonderful pistol. I'll be sure to keep everyone advised.
    -Ed-

"If you take out the killings, Washington actually has a very, very low crime rate." -- Marion Barry, Former Mayor of Washington, DC
    Likes (1) :
    cavelamb (20th June 2022)

Posts liked by others
    Major - you appear to be a practitioner of Robert A. Heinlein's maxim "Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do." Good advice in a lot of cases. Best of luck to you and your R1.

Posts liked by others
    No other R1s here I guess, so I'll report on mine. Bought it used, but low round count. It is the 5" enhanced model. So far a little more then 1500 rounds fired, it has proven to be reliable and accurate. The trigger is pretty light, lighter then what I was expecting my Lyman tells me an average of 3.9 lbs. the finish has held up well, certainly not my tightest 1911. Matter of fact by far the loosest, but it has not really affected function and like I said more then accurate enough.
    The trigger has too much slop, wiggles around and the front fiber optic can and has followed a bullet down range. That is an easy fix though, just need a lighter.
    To sum it up, I beleive it's worth what I paid for it. Does what it is suppose to and has not caused me any grief, I did replace the slid stop with a Wilson Combat. The stock one worked fine with the stock mags, but CMC mag followers would jump the stop and lock up in the gun. Again worked fine with stock, but to run aftermarket mags I had to make a change.
    As long as they continue to work for us, I guess none of the other stuff really matters.
    If it's not a Colt, it's just a much better made copy.
    Last edited by 06kr; 12th April 2015 at 01:16.

Posts liked by others
    Major, I have two R1's, a blue from the first year of issue and a later SS pistol. I cannot guess the number of rounds through the blue 1911 but I have yet to have a stoppage of any kind. The SS pistol is smoother, has a nicer trigger and shoots just as well as my deteriorating skills can hold. I love both of these weapons as they are classic (meaning GI type) style and operate every bit the same as my original 1911 & 1911a1's. My next 1911 will be an R1 Commander length pistol.

Posts liked by others
    Sure, my Commander R1 is not as tight as my Cabot... but it never fails, (1500 rounds, so far) and is surprisingly accurate. It has been a great carry piece, and a fun range gun.
    I, for one think it was money really well spent!

Posts liked by others
    Hmm! Interesting comments about the R1. I have a full size carry model that I have not fired. I guess it's time.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast