Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recently Purchased 1911A1

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by kenhwind View Post
    I have the parkerized version I picked up used in a trade. Not too bad of a pistol for what it is. Mine shoots good, but the leade was a bit shallow and my reloads wouldn't chamber, and the front sight wasn't right. Fixable issues.
    Before I bought my Auto Ordnance, the only 1911-type pistol I had was a Colt 1991-A1. I had reloaded about 300 cartridges with some 230 grain LRN bullets and was shooting them in the Colt, and they worked fine.

When I got the AO I took it to the range with a bunch of 230 grain FMJ factory rounds and my reloads. The reloads that chambered fine in the Colt would fail to chamber about every 3 rounds, but I could give them a little bump on the back of the slide and they'd then chamber. Hover on one round when I gave it the bump, it still didn't chamber and actually got stuck to the point that I couldn't work the slide to eject it.

That's when I was able to demonstrate to myself the utility of the G.I. recoil spring guide. I braced the very bottom of the slide against the bench at the range, right at the bottom of the recoil spring plug where it was clear of the bushing, then gave the rear of the grip frame a good hard bump with the other hand. Popped that stuck cartridge right out.

I took the rest of my reloads back home and gave them the plunk test in AO barrel, and I discovered that the bullets were not quite seated as deeply as the AO liked them to be. So I adjusted the bullet seating stem in my reloading die to seat them a smidgen deeper, plunk-tested them again until the passed, then ran them all back through the seater die again. Then they worked fine.
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (3rd December 2018)

Posts liked by others
    I also reload rounds for use in my .45 AO. I am curious, what depth did you seat your rounds for use in your AO .45?

Posts liked by others
    Modified chamber throat small.jpeg I had the throat on my Auto Ordnance 1911BOKW pistol's barrel opened up, a shown in the photo. Feeding is now excellent, including 200 gr LSWC that i handload. Last time at the range I fired 56 rounds, all lead semi-wadcutters. All fed properly. All the empty cases ejected properly. I was also happy with the accuracy achieved. To save time I count 9 ring and better as "hits", so my score was 53 out of 56 for the day.

I had a lot of frustrations when this gun was new. it was in the shop 5 times in the first 6 months, but those problems appear to be in the past.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by .45s r best View Post
    I also reload rounds for use in my .45 AO. I am curious, what depth did you seat your rounds for use in your AO .45?
    Sorry for being so late to reply to you question - working on a few house projects to get ready for the Holidays.

I really don't know what depth I was seating them to. I started out with some overall measurement as obtained from a reloading manual, then just kept tweaking the seating spindle down until they'd pass the plunk test in my Colt.

Posts liked by others
    I was just curious to see how my reloads compare to others who reload for their AO .45. As far as plunk testing the rounds, I use a Wilson Cartridge Case gage. If it fits there, it will chamber in both my West Hurley and Kahr AO .45. For reliable feeding, I reload slightly longer than recommended by my reloading manual, so far so good!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123