Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: First Hiccup with my CQB Compact

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

First Hiccup with my CQB Compact

I've had my CQB Compact for a couple of years now and love it dearly, but at the range yesterday, I experienced my first hiccup in a good few thousand rounds through the gun since new. I must say that I am not ruling out user error on this one as it occurred during a range trip after a long day at work and after having run about 120 rounds through my 9mm HK and at this point about 60 or so rounds through the CQB. Anyway, on to the lone issue I experienced, press the trigger, gun fires I thought the spent casing ejected, but when I got back on target for a follow up shot, I notice the gun hadn't gone back into battery. Turn the gun to see whether it was a feeding or extraction issue, and lo and behold, there's a spent casing caught in the ejection port...completely horizontally and with the case rim facing the muzzle side of the gun. Retracting the slide to drop the empty to the ground cured the problem completely as the next round was picked up and chambered and the gun functioned 100% from there for the balance of about 100 rounds that I had brought with me. I suppose it would be noteworthy to let y'all know I was shooting at an indoor range and the range lanes are about four feet wide and for the majority of the time I was standing there shooting my 1911, spent brass was being deflected all over the place by the lane divider to my right. So here's the question after my rather long dissertation, is this issue user error (I won't rule out limp wristing as my arthritis has been acting up over the last few days), a HIGHLY lucky incident of spend brass being deflected back into the gun or something with the gun that I should investigate further?

Posts liked by others
    One failure to eject under those circumstances is not something I personally would get too worried about. If it happens again I'd start checking for potential causes. What ammo were you using -- factory or reloads? When was the last time you replaced the recoil spring?
    "Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." --Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Posts liked by others
    Factory ammo...Federal American Eagle 230 ball and Federal HST 230 JHP. It's been about 700 rounds since the recoil spring was changed.

Posts liked by others
    IMHO, limp-wristing is a symtom of a problem, not a cause. But others will tell you different.

Check that your ejector isn't loose (not likely, if this is a Wilson ejector, with the BIG base they use) and that the extractor has tension as it should.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyros View Post
    IMHO, limp-wristing is a symtom of a problem, not a cause. But others will tell you different.

Check that your ejector isn't loose (not likely, if this is a Wilson ejector, with the BIG base they use) and that the extractor has tension as it should.
    Coincidently, I just saw a video on How Wilsons Tests Their Guns, where the Tester purposely shoots a certain number of rounds limp-wristed.
    Respects, Pedro.

Posts liked by others
    Well, I'm happy to report that a fresh recoil spring fixed the problem. One odd thing that I noticed is that the Wilson Combat Spring that I used to replace my last recoil spring had a longer overall length than the Wolff spring that was previously in the gun. Regardless, ejection of spent cases is much more brisk than with the wolf spring. Rounds pretty persistently go about four and a half to five feet to my 4:00.

Posts liked by others
    Springs can lose length over time, but make sure that you check the new spring for stacking at full compression.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    I'm happy to report that a fresh recoil spring and fresh mag springs in my 47 OCX mags and the gun is once again problem free with all types of ammo from Federal American Eagle, to Federal HST, to Winchester Ranger Talon and Remington UMC. My, oh, my I love my CQB Compact. Such a great shooting gun.