Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning lead deposits

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Hoppes is a copper solvent there are much better choices.

KROIL
    , as mentioned above, is excellent as is Butch's Bore Shine.
    And then there's the Lewis Lead Remover.
    -jwk-

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Taroman View Post
    Hoppes is a copper solvent there are much better choices.

KROIL
    , as mentioned above, is excellent as is Butch's Bore Shine.
    And then there's the Lewis Lead Remover.
    The Lewis Lead Remover tool saves a lot of elbow grease.
    Years ago I bought a version put out by Hoppes for the .45 and .38, but have recently bought a Lewis Lead Remover Kit in .40. Both types are basically the same and I can use the Lewis screens as Hoppes does not market theirs anymore.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"
    "It seems to me that I have forgotten more than I remember"

Posts liked by others
    I use Birchwood Casey lead removal cloth cut to patch size.

Posts liked by others
    As mentioned above, the Chore-Boy works well. I have used the stainless steel version with good results (no scratching of the bore). As long as it is wrapped around a bore brush, the brush will act as a spring so the Chore-Boy can flex and mot scratch. Do not use it wrapped around a hard rod of any kind and don't pull it tight when wrapping it. Another trick that works for me is to wrap a layer of 0000 steel wool around a bore brush. It polishes and cleans at the same time. Anything that scratches the surface of the bore can increase contamination of the surface. Smooth is good. I usually finish by scrubbing with a Flitz-covered patch wrapped on a brush.

Posts liked by others
    I had hesitated to suggest this, but what the heck! IMHO the easiest way to a smooth bore is fire-lapping. I have used these bullets with good results:http://www.midwayusa.com/product/537...caliber-pistol. Downside is they have to be loaded. As always, follow the instructions!

Posts liked by others
    I have had the best results from the Birchwood Casey lead removal cloth. But Hoppies 9 will do the job too, if you give it some time to work. I swab the barrel with it first and set it aside while cleaning the rest of the gun. Then I wrap a soaked patch around the brass brush and run it up and down the barrel, also giving it an occasional twist. I think having the soaked patch on the brush helps to keep the bore fully wetted with solvent, because I get better results that way than with just a wetted brush or with just a patch over a jag. Change patches as soon as they show lead deposits (usually happens quickly on the first couple patches). If the bore is moderately leaded, it might take a few patches.
    ...what consumes your thoughts controls your life. Tremonti/Stapp "What If"
    Last edited by FreeMe; 24th April 2015 at 12:46.

Posts liked by others
    For the first step wrap the piece of Chour boy scrub pad ( And make sure it's this brand, some are copper colored stainless steel) around a old brush and push through dry, no solvant. You should see particals of lead come out. Do this about five passes only going forward. Then follow with the Hoppes on a bore brush. let the hoppes soak for at least 15 mins before starting patches.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by stairman View Post
    I've been shooting plain lead bullets. What is the best way to clean my barrel? I'm having a heck of a time. I even wrap copper mesh oven cleaner around the brush. Using Hoppies#9.
    Where did you have trouble?

In the past 20+ years i have shot @1½ ton of lead in umpteen different rifles and revolvers/pistols *3, and i have never spent more than 30 seconds cleaning a barrel. I have gone from BP speeds to 2200fps+ and never had leading issues.

Heres what has worked for me:
    Bullet @+ .002" from slugged measurement *1
    Better than decent lube (and most all hard lubes are !) *2
    Up to @1600fps flatbase, cast lead + 3% tin (BHN 9)
    Up to 1750fps GC, cast lead + 3% tin (BHN 9)
    From there GC, cast lead + 3% tin + 3% antimony (BHN 12)

*1 Please anneal your cases and chamfer case mouth when shooting cast. A hard case will in essence resize the bullet/and or shave the edge and make it to small!
    *2 Lubing the bore is a lubes second task, the primary is as a fluid gasket against gasses.
    http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm
    See chapter 5
    *3: 25-20, 32-20, 30-30, 32-40, 45-70, 45-90, 45-120, 32 H&R, 38SPL, 357MAG, 44SPL, 44MAG, 30-06, 6,5x55 7,5x55, 8,15x46R, 8x57, 8x58RD, 9,3x57, 9,3x62 9,3x72R, 9,3x74R and on and on. So been there done that!

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by tchostler View Post
    I use Birchwood Casey lead removal cloth cut to patch size.
    After using the copper mesh and Kroil, etc. follow up with clean patches, then use the lead removal patches and you will be surprised at the small chunks of lead that come out.
    SEMPER FI

Posts liked by others
    With my .45, I have found that after a thorough cleaning, if I soak the barrel with penetrating oil and let it sit for a day and then wipe it dry with a few patches, this has reduced the lead deposits on my barrel.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast