Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning lead deposits

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Cleaning lead deposits

I've been shooting plain lead bullets. What is the best way to clean my barrel? I'm having a heck of a time. I even wrap copper mesh oven cleaner around the brush. Using Hoppies#9.

Posts liked by others
    Wrap more mesh tightly and work it, it will come out.

I'm guessing your reloading commercial bullets, lead bullets need to be larger .452 + if we're talking 45acp.

To check your loads, pull a bullet and measure to be sure you are not resizing it when seating and or crimping, this is the most common problem reloading lead.

I use Lee dies and bell out the case mouths for seating and crimp using a modified Factory Crimp Die, that I opened up the carbide collar to .454.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Lee View Post
    Wrap more mesh tightly and work it, it will come out.

I'm guessing your reloading commercial bullets, lead bullets need to be larger .452 + if we're talking 45acp.

To check your loads, pull a bullet and measure to be sure you are not resizing it when seating and or crimping, this is the most common problem reloading lead.

I use Lee dies and bell out the case mouths for seating and crimp using a modified Factory Crimp Die, that I opened up the carbide collar to .454.
    Thanks, I'll try more mesh and elbow grease.

Posts liked by others
    The procedure I use is to run a patch, on a jag, soaked with Hoppies through the barrel then let it set while the rest of the gun gets cleaned. Then a couple passes with a brass bore brush, another couple passes with a patch on a jag and we are good to go.

You need to investigate why you are having problems with leading. Hard lead pushed to slow will lead, soft lead pushed too fast will lead. The type of bullet lube will have an effect on leading. The diameter of the bullet will have an effect.

Where in you barrel is it leading and about how long an area?

Posts liked by others
    Double-check to make sure you are using pure copper mesh, and not copper-coated (steel mesh with copper coating). If you are not sure, put a magnet on it .. if it is magnetic, it is copper washed steel. Here is what I use: http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/chore-boy-ultimate-scrubbers/ID=prod4175-product

I pulll a few strands off it and wrap around a nylon borebrush ... a few strokes and the lead is gone.

Dave provided good guidance; figure out the root cause of why you are getting leading.
    Last edited by KeithN; 8th February 2015 at 17:10.

Posts liked by others
    MFWIC
    DILLIGAF
    Stercus Accidit
    WTFDTSG

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by stairman View Post
    What is the best way to clean my barrel? I'm having a heck of a time. I even wrap copper mesh oven cleaner around the brush. Using Hoppies#9.
    I had the same problem with a Colt SAA in .45 Colt. Hoppes #9 just wouldn't cut it. I swabbed the barrel liberally with Kroil and let it set for 15 minutes. Then I used a brass brush with Chore Boy copper mesh (available at Ace Hardware) around it and the leading came out quickly. Repeat as necessary. I did this about 3 times and the barrel came out looking like new. Kroil is the best PENETRATING oil I've ever used.

Posts liked by others
    +1 texagun. Kroil and copper chore boy was fastest.

Posts liked by others
    Kroil is a excellent penetrating oil and smells good too, never thought of using it to clean out lead.

Posts liked by others
    Check out M-Pro7. I use their standard cleaner, but they also offer a bore gel. What I do is run a patch soaked with M-Pro7 down the barrel, then I let the soaked patch sit in the barrel while I clean the rest of the gun. After letting the barrel sit, I spray a copious amount of M-Pro7 down the barrel and perform several passes with a brass brush. Occasionally, I will use a nylon brush and perform a vigorous scrubbing to get the cleaner to foam up and breakdown the carbon and lead. I follow this with another soaked patch and several passes with the brass brush. For Me, M-Pro7 is the best cleaner hands down. I have also started using their LPX oil and it too is performing very well. The LPX helps things stay clean and can be used as dual cleaner/lube.
    The more I learn about Medicine the more I realize I have so much more to learn.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast