Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First High End 1911 Ed Brown SF

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

My First High End 1911 Ed Brown SF

Guys,
    After years of buying, selling, trading.. I have finally made my way up to my first semi custom 1911. I just purchased an Ed Brown special forces.. Just got it home yesterday and can't wait to get it out to the range tomorrow. Before adding this EB my top 1911 has been my SA TRP Operator.. It is a great gun and has been perfect to this point.. I considered a Les Baer P2 and a Dan Wesson Valor but decided to go with the EB Special Forces in the end.. Would appreciate any opinions on my choice..

Thanks

Posts liked by others
    Welcome to the forum,mand you will love the EB.

Posts liked by others
    You have done very well. I have owned a Kobra Carry for nine years. A great gun and problem free. Ed Brown seems to have an excellent quality control on his firearms. He manufactures his slides and frames in house which I like. When you look at the quality of the machining of the slide and frame I think it speaks for itself. Keep it clean and lubed (I use Breakfree) and you won't have any problems.

Posts liked by others
    I have Ed Browns (Kobra Carry and Special Forces) and they're near perfect. Frankly so are my Colts!

The only issue I had with my Kobra Carry was it would not reliably manually eject live FMJ cartridges during range training or classes. Tip of the bullet hangs up in the ejection port. "Extended" ejector was the problem. Brown noted a shorter ejector would allow ejecting these FMJ cartridges but might otherwise compromise ejection and refused any other fix or alteration to the pistol to correct this. I had to have the ejection port professionally relieved elsewhere. You can see the relieved area at the front of the ejection port. Not had this problem with the 5" barrel Special Forces version nor with JHP cartridges, just FMJ during training and annual courses. This port relief is fairly standard on short barrel M1911s so I'm not sure why Brown doesn't do it. Only issue I've had with these pistols.

-- Chuck

Posts liked by others
    First day at the range with the Ed Brown and what can I say.. It was well worth the wait and time spend working my way up to it. Ran absolutely flawless & super accurate.. I believe this one will be in the family for a long time! I ordered a set of VZ operator Black / Gray grips that should be in later this week.. We'll see what the feel like next trip out.Ed Brown SF.jpg

Posts liked by others

Although I am primarily a revolver guy, I have been carrying this Ed Brown Special Forces more and more lately. It is just real hard to find any reason not to. It works great and shoots like a dream. I am the person in charge of Environmental Enforcement for my county and a director for the Regional Environmental Task Force so the Bio-Hazard grips are very appropriate.

Posts liked by others
    I think these are VZ grips. Tried these after a Scott Reitz course -- mimicking the instructor!

Beware, the finish on the slide is very soft and a plastic bushing wrench is highly recommended.

-- Chuck
    Last edited by Chuck S; 20th January 2015 at 17:42.

Posts liked by others
    Dang, look at all these pretty guns.

Tomahawk, hard not to get hooked an Ed Brown pistol :-)

Posts liked by others
    New Grips installed... Ed Brown 4.jpgEd Brown 3.jpg

Posts liked by others
    Those VZ grips really make the pistol stand out. Good choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast