Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: New Cabot Experience w/ Pics

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

New Cabot Experience w/ Pics

I tried to post this in some of the other threads, but they are past the activity period and were closed. I wanted to share my experience with my new Cabot for anyone interested. In holding the gun, it really is a fine piece and very well made. The three most impressive things on the gun for me are the smoothness and fit of the slide on the frame, absolutely perfect precision of the checkering, and feel of the trigger. I really like the feel of the rounded trigger and the pull is very short, crisp and light with virtually no take up. Only regret I have is not getting the barrel jeweled...but planning on sending it in to have done over the winter.

I put 100 rounds through it yesterday on its first day out, and it really shoots beautifully. No malfunctions of any kind, used lower grade range round ball. I plan to shoot it a good bit and after the first grouping of 7 shots just getting used to the gun, I was able to right away shoot good with it. Either the gun got better through out the shooting session, or I got more used to it, but either way, the last 5 groupings I shot were the best of the day. Some crumby cell phone pictures:

Big thank you to the guys at Cabot...really a great shooting pistol.
    Last edited by gretch6364; 27th April 2015 at 11:50.

Posts liked by others
    Nice!

Very Nice indeed.

Some day....
    "Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot
    Dominus Vobiscum . . . <))>(

Posts liked by others
    Looking good. Enjoy shooting it.

Posts liked by others
    What model is it?? Looks pretty good.

Posts liked by others
    Fine piece of sidearm Art from Pennsylvania . (I am proud to say)

Posts liked by others
    Very nice. Congrats!
    Quote Originally Posted by Art1 View Post
    What model is it?? Looks pretty good.
    It's a Jones.

Posts liked by others
    Hey Gretch6364, Congratulations on the acquisition of your Cabot, model Jones 1911, pistol! We hope it brings you many years of satisfaction and pleasure. Enjoy it. A great deal of heart and passion is placed in each gun we produce. If you ever have any questions of require any support just let us know how we can help.

Posts liked by others
    That is a beautiful gun. I had my doubts about Trinity Stripes when I browsed the Cabot site. But after seeing them in Gretch6364's photos, I've grown to like them.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks. Even small aesthetic elements involved a fair amount of thought and development. Of course it is easier to replicate what has been done before but it's also fun to exist on the edge of tradition. One may note the Trinity Stripes are not machined but rather created through a three stage EDM Sinker process (Electric Discharge Method) where metal is removed at the particle level to replicate a graphite electrode. The checkering is first created and then the trinity stripes are removed. Here's a link regarding the genesis of the concept and attribution to the industrial architect who crafted the design, http://cabotgun.com/cabot-guns-preci...-architecture/.

Here is a close-up photo of the Trinity Stripes at the front of Jones Deluxe pistol. You will note the checkering to be quite precise.
    Cabot_Trinity Stripes and Checkering.jpg

Posts liked by others
    I was a principle investigator in an aerospace CAD/CAM software project some 35 years ago. It is amazing how manufacturing has progressed over, what to me is, such a short period of time.
    My observations to date led me to conclude that the stripes were a flat surface. Your enlarged photo has me wondering if the stripes may also have ridges with peaks that match the valleys of the checkering. Is that correct or am I optically deluded?