Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Recoil Spring Plug Protrudes

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Recoil Spring Plug Protrudes

On my CD, the recoil spring plug and guide protrude past the barrel bushing and do not depress so it can be turned.

What is wrong, and how do I fix it?
    recoil spring plug.jpg

Posts liked by others
    Looks normal to me.

The same as my STI Trojan.

MFWIC
    DILLIGAF
    Stercus Accidit
    WTFDTSG

Posts liked by others
    There's nothing "wrong" -- that's the way those particular parts were designed. In fact, I believe your recoil spring plug will depress, except that the guide rod won't allow you to easily depress it. This is one of the reasons why many people don't like full-length guide rods -- you have to learn a different way to field strip the pistol.

If it were mine, I would replace those parts with conventional parts.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    That must be it, because the only way I can dismantle it is to hold back the slide and push the slide stop out. It's quite awkward doing it this way.
    I did not realize these parts were unconventional. Do all the recoil parts need to be replaced for it to work normally?

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by cottonwood View Post
    ... Do all the recoil parts need to be replaced for it to work normally?
    Essentially, yes. You will need a new recoil spring guide and plug. You may also need a new recoil spring.
    Brownells has the parts that are not overly expensive. You can have parts out the door for around $30 plus shipping.

Posts liked by others
    Do all the recoil parts need to be replaced for it to work normally?
    Just the guide and the plug. You can get both from Advanced Tactical's web site (they are the U.S. branch of Armscor, who made the gun for Charles Daly). Web site is https://us.advancedtactical.com/shop...11-slide-parts

You'll need this: https://us.advancedtactical.com/shop...ring-guide-gi/

and this: https://us.advancedtactical.com/shop...-38sup-.45acp/

Advanced Tactical is currently out of stock on the plug. You can also get both parts from Brownells, probably for about the same price -- and Brownells almost certainly has something in stock, because they offer multiplke manufacturers for many 1911 parts.
    Hawkmoon
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 26th December 2014 at 14:56.

Posts liked by others
    Cottonwood's picture looks like a commander style. Is that correct?

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrenean View Post
    Cottonwood's picture looks like a commander style. Is that correct?
    Good catch. In that event, both the recoil spring guide and the plug will be shorter than the ones I showed.
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    That must be it, because the only way I can dismantle it is to hold back the slide and push the slide stop out. It's quite awkward doing it this way.
    I did not realize these parts were unconventional. Do all the recoil parts need to be replaced for it to work normally?
    Lock back the slide and take a close look at the guide rod. If it has a hole on its side, you can use a bent paperclip to hold the recoil spring, guide and plug together as an assembly.

FWIW, my Para has a FLGR that does not protrude, so I can take it apart and put it back together just as fast as a conventional 1911. No wrench is needed, the baseplate of a magazine works a treat. YMMV.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter