Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watching the Front Sight

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Watching the Front Sight

We've all been taught to focus on the front sight as the shot is being executed. Fine, but what is the proper technique after the pistol's been

fired? Do you:

A.) Maintain constant focus on the front sight. Watch it as the pistol moves upwards from recoil. Continue focusing on it as the pistol comes

back down during recovery. In other words, your eye constantly "tracks/watches" the sight as a series of multiple rounds are fired.

B.) Focus on front as trigger's pulled. As pistol recoils, you don't "track/follow" sight with your eye. Instead, you're just staring straight

ahead, off into the distance in front of you. You are not intensely focusing on anything. The pistol and it's front sight have now come back

down from the recoil. They have now been presented back into your line of sight once again. Your focus now shifts onto the front sight as

you prepare to fire the next round in the series.

I've been experimenting with both methods. Is there an advantage of one over the other? Which one is correct? Or is it just a matter of

personal preference. Hope I've explained this clearly for you. Any comments? Thank you!

Posts liked by others
    After firing I look at the target to see where my bullet impacted before returning my attention to the front sight for the next shot.
    "Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." --Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Posts liked by others
    As much as possible, I try to watch the front sight go up and come back down. In reality, I can only follow it up about half up, then pick it back up on the way down. When the sight is back on the target, it is time to press the trigger again.

It might make a difference if one is shooting bulls-eye vs tactical, but I do not know? Other more knowledgeable people will probably chime in before long.

Posts liked by others
    I think what I do is a variant of "B." I know I don't track the front site as the muzzle rises. Other than that, it depends on whether I'm shooting at bullseye-type targets, for accuracy, or if I'm in a practical "tactical) competition setting.

For accuracy work, after each shot I look at the target. My eyse aren't good enough to see the holes at 75 feet if I accidentally hit the black, but that's where my eyes go. Then, as the muzzle drops back into alighnment, my eyes flip back to the front sight.

In practical shooting, I don't really focus on the front sight. Thinking about it, I'd say my point of focus is in mid-air, about halfway between the front sight and the target. My eyes remain focused on that spot in the air while the muzzle rises and drops back down, at which point the front sight comes back to alignment pretty easily.

YMMV
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    If I'm shooting relatively close range, I focus on the front sight for the first shot, then my point shooting instinct takes over and all I see is the target. If I'm shooting longer range (40+ yds), my eye is focused on the front sight all the time. With proper hold, there isn't much muzzle flip so I don't really notice losing my sight picture.

Posts liked by others
    I attempt to maintain my eye sight at the original level and bring the front sight back where it belongs.
    I say this with much caution as at my age, and wearing glasses, bifocals' at that, it is really an effort.
    Do not forget that at this same time concentration is also trying to do a trigger reset.
    I try not to look at the target as this causes my focus to do double and maybe triple duty.
    If things work out like I would like them to then I am back on target with proper focus and trigger reset and just did an outstanding double tap . . . . AH-H-H-H . . . . If only it worked out that way every time.

WOW! . . . . That is a lot of words to cover a split second in time!

Posts liked by others
    I read an article in latest issue of American Handgunner and the author recommended the possibility that if you wear bifocals that you have a pair made with the bifocal part put on top instead of the bottom.

I had never heard about that before . . . . Anyone else heard of this?
    However when you think it through it makes a lot of sense as the position of your head when shooting, at least mine does, tends to drop down a bit as the sights come into view.

I am due for a check up at the beginning of the year and I am thinking I amy try this . . . . .

Posts liked by others
    I don't know if that's a viable option for some or not. For me, it wouldn't work because the bifocal is slightly fuzzy at arms length and at 5 feet + things get really fuzzy. I prefer to concentrate on the target, more so at diminished light and minimal contrast between the target and surrounding areas.
    NRA Life Member since '67

"Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake."
    Napoleon
    Last edited by horse 91-A1; 12th December 2014 at 16:17.

Posts liked by others
    For my older eyes, When target shooting, I wear reading glasses of the right power to get a good focus on the front sight. The target at 15-25 yards is a bit blurry, but I don't have a problem placing the sights in the center of the black. I try to maintain my focus on the front sight; after each shot it's a refocus for me.

Posts liked by others
    I wear Trifocals and wound up having a pair of glasses made with just the middle section strength, they get used at work. It sounds like I better take them to the range the next time and see how they work for shooting. Changing eye sight is just another fun part of getting older.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast