Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is the .38 Super adequate as a self defense handgun?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    A lot of law men along the Texas Mexico border carried 38 Supers for a couple of reasons.

1. If they needed to shoot through a car that was running from them, that was the right caliber. As one Customs Agent told me "if a car is running from me I can shoot through the seats and get to the driver". I don't know if that's true, but that's what he said. Of course all they carried back then was FMJ.

2. Mexico has always forbidden military calibers in their country, and the .45 is at the top of that list. The 38 Super is not on the list therefore if a law Texas law man had to cross the border armed, which did happen back then, they were not facing the rath of the military caliber Mexico law.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
    Super .38, as it was originally called, was the auto pistol "answer" to .357 S&W Magnum in revolvers. This was back when revolvers were considered more reliable and regular police departments (the audience of both cartridges) were content with non-nuclear handguns (or tanks or helicopter gunships).

.38 Super, the current name, was revived as a gun games cartridge and we all know gun games offer only a token correspondence to real world gunfight requirements.

Both are "just 9mm" and product 9mm size holes. While energy is required to produce a wound comparing energy offers no clue to the size of the wound. Bigger wound is better and .45ACP FMJ produces larger wounds than expanded 9mm JHPs. So, no, I don't consider it a good "defensive" (or even offensive) hand gun cartridge.

-- Chuck
    I always thought it was the other way round, with .357 being the revolver answer to the Super 38.
    Was introduced in the '20s for shooting through auto bodies and "bulletproof" vests worn by perps.
    The .357 came along in the mid '30s to do the same job.
    -jwk-

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Posts liked by others
    I have two boxes of winchester silver tips in 38 special and a box of remington 115 JHP.
    I am saving those boxes. But, when it is time to buy more 38 super I will probably buy underwood ammo since the others
    don't seem to be around anymore.

John!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123