Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Picked up a SW1911SC E the other day and was surprised to find this

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Picked up a SW1911SC E the other day and was surprised to find this

I finally saw one in the wild and made it mine. I love 1911's (obviously) and wanted a Smith just for the variation. And of course the good looks!

Out for a range trip I found myself shooting to the left. The front sight was off barely a tad and I blamed it on that. The following morning I was dry firing the pistol in the house, just fondling it and whatnot, and I noticed that the trigger, in spite of being crisp, felt a little heavy. And there might have been a slight hitch or odd feeling that I didn't notice when shooting. I put the ga on it and was surprised to see an average of 6 lbs pull! That ain't right. So I pulled it apart.
    And lookee here. A lousy quality MIM part.

I polished that seam off the disconnect, polished the trigger bow, polished the trigger spurs (which BTW measured 0.018") and left the sear alone because I didn't feel like getting out my jig until I put it back together again and tried things out. I also adjusted the sear spring slightly. 4.6 lbs was measured and every bit as crisp.
    Back out to the range had be shooting like this, which isn't bad for me. This was at 10 yards.

Anyway, I'm very happy with the gun overall, but disappointed in S&W to resort to cheap ignition parts. I might replace the sear and disconnect after shooting it a while.

Posts liked by others
    A pretty pistol you have there....good luck with her.
    Beauty is skin deep but ugly goes right to the bone.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks, NC.

Posts liked by others
    Pretty much the same thing i found in my new para hunter big seams on the sear and disco probable same supplier

Posts liked by others
    That's how the disconnect looked in the Remington R1 I picked up to use for a build, but I expected it in that gun.

Posts liked by others
    Those are sweet looking pistols. I really like the look of them

Posts liked by others
    That is surprising in that pistol. Those are pretty pistols.
    NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others
    I love my Kimber Super Carry 5". I'm now drooling on the S&W 1911sc "commander". My Kimber get worn in my Miami Classic. I want to carry a SC 4.25" in an IWB. Kimber uses MIM parts also, but mine has a stock trigger about 5lbs, nice & crisp. You have a great looking gun. I'm jealous. I like the fact that they both DO NOT use firing pin block safeties. I love the round butt. I don't know that I would ever buy another non-bobtail 1911. Pretty sweet.

Posts liked by others
    Is that something that should be expected on MIM parts even in a $1200 pistol?

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by BIPMaster View Post
    Is that something that should be expected on MIM parts even in a $1200 pistol?
    Now days, yes, that is to be expected. If it was a $2000 gun, I would expect to have no MIM parts. I wish it wasn't so, but that seems to be the norm these days. I guess we have to remember before Kimber came along, if you wanted a 1911 built just like my Super Carry Custom or something similar, that gun would have easily cost $2000+. Kimber & Chip McCormick changed the way we all see 1911's now IMO. Before Kimber, we would have to buy a govt style 1911, then install or have installed match trigger, high ride beavertail grip safety, dovetail your slide for sights, upgrade to better thumb safety, tighten slide to frame fit, match grade barrel, full length guide rod if you think you need one, extended mag release, commander style hammer, beveled mag well and whatever else I'm missing. If you put it into perspective, the guns we get now (Kimber, S&W, Sig, Remington, Para etc) are cheap compared to what you used to have to pay.

As a side note, Chip McCormick yanked me out of Kimbers booth at SHOT show one year, and drug me around showing me all kinds of 1911 parts and accessories for about half an hour. I remember him showing me a purple 1911. He wouldn't stop talking about how Kimbers owner (Les) screwed him out of this-n-that. I sure got a kick out of him, seemed like a really nice guy. I like his higher end 1911 mags.
    Last edited by fortis45; 10th November 2014 at 20:05.