Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Kimber II owners please read

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by SMMAssociates View Post
    torontogunguy:

[...] If you've got a standard extractor Brownells has a tool (about $8 but you can make your own) that is used to basically bash the hook end of the thing to get it out. Just a piece of steel rod with a cutout on the end to sort of fit around the hook a litle bit.

You'd think that would be hard on the extractor, but if it's not really solid, it shouldn't hurt.

Regards,
    Are you referring to this $26 tool? http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...-prod1004.aspx

Posts liked by others

Smile

Big Blue:

Zombie thread.... That post was in 2007 ....

However, I think the tool was under $10 when I bought it. Really handy to have one, though. Somewhere along the line, though, they raised the price.

IMHO, still handy at $30-ish, but I don't think I'd have bought more than one.

The short end is just right for popping firing pin stops (and firing pins) out of the slide, and the long end can help push an extractor out. An ordinary punch may not line up well enough, but the bend on this one helps.

Seems to me I have a second one in the gun tools box in the trunk of the car - I've been known to take new ones to the range before I got 'em home .

Regards,
    Stu.
    (Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
    יזכר לא עד פעם

Posts liked by others
    Big Blue wins this weeks "zombie" award. As an alternative to the pricey Brownell's version, there is this one from 10-8 performance that is about 8 bucks and does the same thing.
    http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...prod26727.aspx
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)

Posts liked by others
    Oops, you're right!

Posts liked by others
    That lead zombie appears to get more than his fair share of human flesh to eat.
    SEMPER FI

Posts liked by others
    I'm not sure you can bash the extractor with that $8 tool.... Otherwise, though, it ought to work. The steel one certainly does....

(But $30? I don't think I'd have gone for that at the time.)

Regards,
    Stu.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
    יזכר לא עד פעם

Posts liked by others
    I'm not sure you can bash the extractor with that $8 tool.... Otherwise, though, it ought to work. The steel one certainly does....
    Stu, it works quite well for that, and doesn't mar up the finish like a steel tool will. The thicker chisel edge is stiff enough to push the claw past the breechface, then once it's clear, pry on the other end in the FPS slot and the extractor pops right out.
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)

Posts liked by others

Smile

garrettwc:

I'll bow to your experience.... Or go buy one .... I think there's a spare $30 tool in the toolbox in the car, but it wasn't $30 then, either ....

Regards,
    Stu.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
    יזכר לא עד פעם

Posts liked by others
    garrettwc:

I'll bow to your experience....
    No need for a full bow. A simple curtsy will do.

Seriously, we all learn from each other. Happy to share. Thanks and have a good one.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456