Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Kimber II owners please read

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Smile

Warmrain:

Kimber used the Swartz system, I'm told, because Colt has a patent on their design. Whether or not that was to get around another patent (maybe the Swartz?), I don't know....

Colt apparently did evaluate the Swartz system before WWII.

Regards,
    Stu.
    (Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
    יזכר לא עד פעם

Posts liked by others
    Sold my Kimbers. Kimber is going back to internal extractors which will make external extractor guns far less desirable. This will make them worth significantly less. I did like my Gold Combat but it took Kimber 2 returns to get it working properly. I have owned 3 Kimbers with external extractors. All 3 had to be sent back at least 1 time to get them to have less than 10% failure rate. NOT SO GOOD, Eh!! I will say they worked grat after that. I also noticed my CDP Ultra had a sloppy fit! I could move the slide back & forth on the frame!!! They said it was within tolerances. I was told you can't get a tighter fit when using aluminum & Stainless.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Frampy
    ...I also noticed my CDP Ultra had a sloppy fit! I could move the slide back & forth on the frame!!! They said it was within tolerances. I was told you can't get a tighter fit when using aluminum & Stainless.
    Three Ultra CDPs I've had (2002, 2004, 2005) had a significantly tighter slide to frame fit than my two (~1992,~1995) Colt Stainless Officers...
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
    It only takes a second to dial 911; it could take the rest of your life for help to arrive...
    Posts are my opinion based on my experience; YMMV.

Posts liked by others

Smile

Thanks For Explaining That.All This Time With Three Kimbers thus Equipped I Thought It Was Hit Or Miss On Slide Removal And Assembly.Been Meaning To Research The Firing Pin Stop But It Is Not Shown In The Three Manuals I Have From Kimber

Posts liked by others
    Don't confuse the firing pin stop (which holds the firing pin into the slide and is visible from the rear of the slide with the gun assembled and cocked), and the firing pin safety which is part of the Schwartz safety system.

If you have a series II Kimber (there is a II after the model name on the slide) there should be a discriptive diagram in the owners manual. If not you can down load a manual.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
    It only takes a second to dial 911; it could take the rest of your life for help to arrive...

Posts liked by others
    Good post. I had heard enough about "safety" issues with Kimber... Will not buy it for sure... They do safety to avoid liability, so not buying thier gun will work perfectly!

Posts liked by others

I love this sight - and Kimbers . . .

Well, after questions, research and review . . .

I'll still buy a Kimber.
    I'll still buy a Colt.
    I'll still buy a Springfield.

The different types of safty systems don't really bother me on the weapons I own.

In the future, I'll stick with Series-70 systems on Colts and Springfields.
    I don't mind the Kimber system - now that I understand it.
    I won't buy any more Series-80 Colts unless they are used, and l get a really great deal.

I like Wilson Combat magazines.

My next purchase will be a sub-compact, stainless/alloy 1911. Any suggestions?
    N7CAV, trooper
    Loren B. Cobb

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by bearboy
    Thanks For Explaining That.All This Time With Three Kimbers thus Equipped I Thought It Was Hit Or Miss On Slide Removal And Assembly.Been Meaning To Research The Firing Pin Stop But It Is Not Shown In The Three Manuals I Have From Kimber
    In the early days the the external extractor it was just a card the placed inside the cover...

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by N7CAV
    ...I like Wilson Combat magazines.

My next purchase will be a sub-compact, stainless/alloy 1911. Any suggestions?
    I really like the Wilson Combat magazines I've got too. However I recently purchased a Kimber KimPro Tac-Mag and it is wonderful. I like that the follower is teflon stainless (fully skirted) and that you get three base options (no pad, med. pad, large pad). The run great in my Kimbers and Colts.

As far as small 1911s, that's all I have. The largest being the Colt Officers pictured under the camera iccon. It has been 100% since NIB. A little heavy for carry at 32 oz., but I carry it anyway.

I next went to the Kimber Ultra CDPs, bought two, and it has been great as well. One was 100% out of the box, the other 100% after a break-in of about 800. (It started improving at 200 and was near perfect at 600). Well, the second one cracked the alloy frame and Dennis allowed my to put an Eclipse (stainless) frame on it.

I will probably end up carrying the alloy CDP and using the "Eclipse" version as the range and training pistol.

I also recently had the opportunity to shoot a new Para LDA 3" all stainless 1911. It was a wonderful pistol and the trigger was very good. I felt it was as accurate as my Kimbers... Though I would choose their SA version.

I have no experience with Springfield.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by warmrain
    I next went to the Kimber Ultra CDPs, bought two, and it has been great as well. One was 100% out of the box, the other 100% after a break-in of about 800. (It started improving at 200 and was near perfect at 600). Well, the second one cracked the alloy frame and Dennis allowed my to put an Eclipse (stainless) frame on it.

I will probably end up carrying the alloy CDP and using the "Eclipse" version as the range and training pistol.

Hmmm... Interesting. Thanks for the images - Has there been reportable levels of failure with alloy frames? And if so, is it more typical of smaller pistols?

The melt look seems to really work for those little guys.
    N7CAV, trooper
    Loren B. Cobb

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast