Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Chambering the +1

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Chambering the +1

So, I have been carrying my 1911 a lot lately, and I dry practice at home a bunch. So, here's my question, I have been chambering the extra round in my 1911 by dropping it in the chamber, easing the slide onto it, and smacking it to lock it all up. Doing this to avoid bullet setback from chambering rounds over and over, my fear is that this might damage the extractor. Any thoughts?

Posts liked by others
    And that's why I'll never buy a used 1911.
    "Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." --Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by 11 Bravo View Post
    And that's why I'll never buy a used 1911.
    And that is why I don't post on forums very often.

I'm pretty sure the 3-4 times I have done it have not ruined my 1911, but am asking the question to better educate myself. If this question is beneath the forum, I guess I will be best served by going elsewhere. Thank you for your service, have a nice day 11 Bravo.

Posts liked by others
    I wasn't trying to be rude. It seemed to me that the way you framed the question meant that you already knew that was not the safe or recommended method for loading the plus one round. With military 1911's at one time the manual even suggested loading in the "drop one in the chamber" method, but that was a different time. Some today say to modify the extractor angle so it will snap over the rim without having to push it. There has even been much debate as to whether this practice harms the extractor at all and that the ability to "push feed" is desirable.

IMO, you are running a risk of damaging the extractor. However, your concern about bullet setback is valid. Either leave it loaded or shuffle the rounds so you are not constantly re-chambering the same round.
    "Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." --Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Posts liked by others
    Thanks 11 Bravo

Posts liked by others
    I was taught to chamber the +1 by loading the mag, inserting the mag, racking the slide, flipping the safety on, dropping the mag and loading another round, re-inserting the mag.
    I'm not a fan of the way you described for pistols... but truth be told I often single-shot rifles by dropping a cartridge onto the follower and closing the bolt. In essence that is not correct either, but I've never had a problem with an extractor.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    A technique to be avoided, as much as possible. PAcanis technique is much better for your extractor.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    A while back (when I was incredibly bored) I started reading through pistol manuals on-line, to see if any gun manufacturer agreed to or even mentioned the 'loose round straight in the chamber' loading method. I don't claim to have read them all, but the only mention I found was in the manual for an older Ruger pistol (P85, probably). Even there, it was mentioned as an alternative 'last resort' method.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    The solution to all this is to go out & buy a 2nd 1911 so you can have one loaded for carry & one for dry practice, then extractor damage or bullet setback won't be an issue.

But seriously, to echo every one else, I was taught to use the same method as PAcanis. My usual solution to bullet setback is to fire off my carry mag periodically, depending on how often I've had to unload/reload.