Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Best way to spend $500

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Best way to spend $500

Okay, so given the following two options at a local camera store, which would you take and why?

Like new, Nikon D200 and new 50mm 1.8G lens

or

New Nikon D3200 with 18-55mm kit lens
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)

Posts liked by others
    Hmmmm. That's a tough one.
    The D200 is a battleship with old technology. I can take or leave the 50mm lens.
    The D3200 is less rugged but more modern and the lens is more versatile.
    I would go with the D3200 unless you're going to be shooting in situations that require a professional body camera...either way, if you put either of the two lenses on, it doesn't matter if the body is rugged or not as the lenses are a bit flimsy.
    Also keep in mind...the D200 takes the old compact flash memory....it may be a bit harder to come by in the future.
    Beauty is skin deep but ugly goes right to the bone.

Posts liked by others
    Yes, the plastic mount on the 50mm is a little iffy, but it's pretty good glass and I have a lot of use for 1.8.

But you see my dilemma. Rugged body, but "old" technology or flimsy body with the latest greatest. The old body feels good in my hands, but based on reviews I'd be limited to about 400 ISO. In the film days I rarely shot above 200 though. The new body has much better ISO range, but feels like a child's toy in the hand.

Decisions, decisions.
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)

Posts liked by others
    I have the D200.....you can go way beyond 400 ISO. You start getting 'noise' above 800 ISO but nothing horrible. I shoot in RAW format and go over the shots with Nikon's ViewNX 2 program. It's extremely powerful software FWIW.
    If your shooting runs the risk of getting the camera knocked around or wet, the D200 is a battleship. If your just going to do some casual to serious shooting, the newer camera should be fine. There is a big difference in the CMOS sensors and of course the D3200 offers video....if that matters.

here's a little sample of the D200's handywork.

Beauty is skin deep but ugly goes right to the bone.

Posts liked by others
    Being built like a tank is certainly a plus. I guess mainly, I am looking for something that is usable as a trial setup while I get my feet wet in digital, but that I can trade back in and not lose too much $$ if I decide it doesn't work for me. Thanks for sharing your D200 experience. I guess like most things on the interwebs, the "noise" issue was exaggerated somewhat.