Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally got an RRA

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Finally got an RRA

I've wanted one for over a dozen years but finances always got in the way. One became available at the right price at the right time to fit my budget and I picked it up a few days ago.

The gun came with a Rock River Arms plastic gun case, break down instructions and a copy of the Department of the Army Technical Manual for Pistol, Caliber .45, Automatic, M1911A1. Did not have a test target.

I'm not absolutely sure, but I think it's a Limited Match. It has a serrated flat top slide with serrations on the back of the slide.

It has hardly been fired. It is such a thing of beauty in all it's hard chromed glory.

Posts liked by others
    I think you're right. It also seems to have French borders at the top corners of the slide, and IIRC the Limited Match was the only one that had this as a feature.

It also came with checkering either at the bottom or at the front of the triggerguard, but it was possible to omit this (and other) option(s), if you didn't like them. It's a good thing they're not there, IMHO.

Whatever it is, it looks brilliant. Now go and make it really dirty and tell us how it shoots. Oh and welcome to the forum!
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    It has checkering on the bottom of the trigger guard. If I had been the one to order it new I would have deleted the side front slide serrations and had 25 lpi checkering on the straps instead of the 30 lpi it came with. Even so, I'm still happy to have it.

The trigger wasn't even broken in. After only a few hundred dry fires it is getting noticeably better.

Does anyone know what the price was for a Limited Match near the end of RRA's 1911 production?

Posts liked by others
    I might have a copy of the blue book which may or may not list RRA... I'll see if I can find it.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Congrats on your new pistol, it sure looks good. Hope you will post a range report.

Posts liked by others
    I actually got to shoot the pistol a year ago. A friend of my son asked me to go to the gun store to help him pick out his first 1911. After looking at new Springfields, Smith & Wessons, Kimbers and Nighthawks the salesman pulled out the used RRA Limited Match. My eyes got as big as silver dollars (remember, I had lusted for one for over ten years). The young man I was helping noticed my reaction and ended up buying it. A few days later he came over to my house and we processed some ammo through it in my back yard. I was totally smitten with the gun. This past Sunday he said he wanted to sell it and made me a deal I couldn't refuse and now it's mine.

It's almost to beautiful to shoot but that won't stop me. Can't wait for the next USPSA match.

Posts liked by others
    Congrats! I like the hard chrome finish on it.
    Lynnie, "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. "
    - Albert Camus

Posts liked by others
    I have only read about these 1911's have never seen one in person. Is it as good as been written about it?
    Shame they are not made anymore...
    NRA Benefactor

Posts liked by others
    It's every bit as good as has been written about. I've shot Wilson and Les Baer. I've handled Nighthawk and Ed Brown. The Rock River is the nicest 1911 I've handled or shot but I do prefer the look of the blue or stainless Ed Brown over the others. I didn't think I'd like the look of a hard chromed pistol but my RRA is gorgeous in person.

I'm not a bullseye shooter and at combat distances the RRA isn't going to perform any better than my series one Kimber but to handle and compare them the Kimber doesn't even come close in feel, fit or finish. Some people can't understand spending the extra money on a high end 1911 but then they probably can't understand the worth of a BMW automobile over a Honda, a fine wine over a common brand or a Zeiss lens over a Sigma.

Posts liked by others
    Very nice gun. Joni, nice to hear your voice. I've been away for a while but I still love those 1911s. Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast