Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st 10mm, 1st Wilson Combat purchase, 1st post

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

1st 10mm, 1st Wilson Combat purchase, 1st post

I bought this 10mm CQB on gunbroker. Awaiting the check clearing and shipping to take possession.

pix024798531.jpg
    pix715701511.jpg

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=409331182

I'm looking for ammo now, recommendations?
    for:
    self defense

range

hog/deer hunting

Posts liked by others
    Great gun and great caliber. For defense I would use a liight weight hollow point by Corbon like the 150 grain projectile. For hunting I would be concerned about penetration and would go with a 200 grain soft point by any of the major manufactures. If you handload, Accurate Arms #7 powder works well and they have plenty of 10MM load data available on their website. You can use a cast lead projectile which is cheap and will give good penetration on hogs.

Posts liked by others
    Now that's a sweet looking pistol.

Posts liked by others
    Looking good you can look at Double Tap they used to make real 10mm loads for defensive carry and range and hunting .. other wise handload um up except the Self defense loads

Posts liked by others
    10mm Auto is one of my favorite rounds and Wilson Combat makes a fine pistol.
    I have done right much ballistic testing with the 10mm and the Hornady and Georgia Arms 155gr JHP are excellent for defense and the 200gr Hornady would be an excellent hunting round.

Posts liked by others
    Federal has a new 180gr JSP round in their Trophy Bonded line that's pushing 1300FPS. That should be pretty sporty. Nice blaster by the way.
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)

Posts liked by others
    Nice looking piece, great and probably the most versatile caliber in the 1911 where I live. I'mean waiting for a railed Commander size Fusion to show up one of these days.

I handload, however, for town carry it's a Barnes all copper bullet loaded by Double Tap in either 125gr or 155gr. For at my place, 200gr WFN/1220fps should take care of any obnoxious bruin, feral hog or aggressive night time mountain lion.

Nosler, Speer and Hornady all make excellent 180gr JHPs, try to keep MVs in the ~1250fps range for bullet integrity at impact.
    NRA Life Member since '67

"Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake."
    Napoleon
    Last edited by horse 91-A1; 22nd April 2014 at 15:32.

Posts liked by others
    Well I shot her yesterday and she is one great shooter. Not bad recoil either though I didn't have any ripsnorting ammo. Tried PRVI, American Eagle, PMC, and Federal hydrashok. The PMC 200 grain grouped the best of the bunch. I plan to swing by Cabela's in Buda today to see what flavors they have on tap.

I see DoubleTap has a variety pack for trying 4 different types. Anybody tried the 230 grain WFNGC?

http://www.doubletapammo.net/index.p...&product_id=50

Posts liked by others
    Picked up some other ammo at Cabelas and back to the range today. 5 buffalo bore 180gr, 5 buffalo bore 220gr, 5 each of 170 and 180 hornady (the latter was stupid accurate) and Box of 180 remington umc. Towards the end of the box my shots were off and the front sight was finger loose! Not a fan of these 3 dot night sights anyway. What would be more resilient? Battle sights? Gold bead? Target?

Posts liked by others
    How is your 10mm holding up? Anymore range reports?

FWIW, the batch of Double Tap's 230gr WFNGCs I bought weighted between 221grs-223grs.
    NRA Life Member since '67

"Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake."
    Napoleon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast