Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: A question about training progression

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

A question about training progression

I have been a gun owner and shooter practically all of my life. When I was a child , I hunted and shot shotguns and 22's whenever we could afford the extra ammo. Now I am fast approaching 45 years old and have really decided to get serious with training and shooting, with hopes of one day soon shooting competitively. I have decided to focus on the 1911 in .45 acp , because I quite frankly love this platform and the way it feels in my hands. I have been shooting whenever I get the chance, on my off days, and usually shoot from 40 to 100 rounds per session. I am becoming more accurate, but I don't really feel like my speed is improving as much as I would like. My question is , how does this progress ? Is speed something that comes slowly for everyone, is this just the way it is when learning the pistol ? Some days I feel like I am making progress, but some days I swear I feel like I am losing ground .

Posts liked by others
    I would recommend if your local range offers some kind of practical handgun course, take it. My local range has one - a few hours (~2) of classroom, but most of it was on the range, practicing - drawing, identifying & engaging targets, all rapid fire. See this thread: http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.ph...-Pistol-course. Certainly not the best training around, but affordable & more convenient than taking off a week from work to go off to the better courses.

I don't think having off days when you feel like you're losing ground is unusual - at least it isn't for me. Lately, it seems like I've had more off than on days.

Posts liked by others
    mtnbkr, it is a progression of crawl, walk, run. As cavscout74 mentioned, the best option is to take some formal instruction. Instructors can both teach you more efficient techniques, and correct any flaws in your existing techniques that are hindering your performance. After you know what parts of your skills to work on, then you can practice on your range with a shot timer. A timer is very important. How do you know if you are getting better if you don't have a way to time yourself?

Here are some examples of ways to build speed that you will learn in a good class.

Ron Avery on the draw stroke:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMSlCyc-SQQ

Kyle Defoor on shooting faster:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsO4KC-XmAI
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the advice guys. I watched both of those videos yesterday , and they were both extremely helpful. Just knowing what to expect helps a lot.

Posts liked by others
    mtnbkr,

Learn the efficient techniques, smooth becomes fast. Fast seldom (never) becomes smooth. Dry practice always helps but only to a point. As others have indicated training with a good instructor can or will help immensely.

Competition can help and will expose you to other techniques. There will usually be other shooters that will provide assistance, watch all, look for smooth. The guy with the smoothest presentation is the one to follow. Speed and accuracy come but not quickly. Become friends with your trigger. The mantra at Gunsite is "front site, press".

Jim