Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Oil or grease

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Single Six View Post
    I tested several oils, shot it 'til the lube dries up and the gun gets sluggish and sticky. Synthetic motor oil won. Paying more for a few ounces of "special" gun lube is foolish IMNSHO.

I use a tiny dab of high quality grease on high pressure areas, pretty much just the sear/hammer interface...drops the pull weight a tiny bit and smooths it a little too.

I shoot competition and a while back, a guy came with a newish SS springfield with "Frog Lube" on it. I think it's a water protectanct, it sure wasn't a lube! Firing pin go stuck out, slide got stuck, etc...couple drops of my motor oil, and she was up and running. Saw him again later, he had cleaned and reapplied the Frog, and was having issues again. SMH...

I tried grease on my rails and it seemed to slow the action and get gummy. Grease is for high pressure applications, oil is for sliding applications.
    Hi
    I'm interested in this FrogLube problem. You see I use it all the time without any malfunctions, what I'm wondering is did he properly follow the instructions for using FrogLube. The firearm requires a complete teardown, I use Denatured Alcohol in the ultrasonic cleaner, heat up the parts with a blow dryer, brush on the FrogLube quite heavily. Now for the tricky part. After it sits about an hour it must all be wiped off, and I do mean all. Every nook and cranny must be dry when finished. I use microfiber cloth, Q-tips, bore mops, patches. Whatever it takes to get the job done. Basically it leaves a dry impregnated finish to the metal. No! I don't work for the company or sell it. But since I use it a lot, I'm concerned as to what might go wrong. It is quite thick if not wiped away thoroughly and could get really gummed up when mixed with carbon. I would be interested in hearing from other users that have had problems with it!

Posts liked by others
    Welcome to the forum. IMO, Frog Lube has done an amazing job of marketing their $20 an ounce mineral oil and wintergreen mixture. I will not run a semi-automatic dry and my education will not permit me to believe that some magic product penetrates metal and provides lubrication even though it appears dry. YMMV.
    "Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." --Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by 11 Bravo View Post
    Welcome to the forum. IMO, Frog Lube has done an amazing job of marketing their $20 an ounce mineral oil and wintergreen mixture. I will not run a semi-automatic dry and my education will not permit me to believe that some magic product penetrates metal and provides lubrication even though it appears dry. YMMV.
    Yup, $640 per quart. Compare that to any decent motor oil, even the wizbang synthetics at around $10 per quart. I like Valvoline Racing oil. It protects 4000 horsepower funny car engines. About $5 per quart. 3in1 oil, machine oil, nothing fancy at all lube is what I have used for 5 decades for all types of arms and never had any sort of lube problems.

Half or more the $20 for an ounce of WIZBANG is to pay for the marketing (propoganda) to try to convince you it is 10 times better than just plain oil. The great majority of the remainder is profit to the seller. The actual cost of the once of WIZBANG to the producer is less than a buck. The real difference from oil is $19 of hype and profit.

Posts liked by others
    I use the same oil as in my Harley, 20w50 Mobil-1 for V-Twins.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Recon View Post
    I'm using FP-10 by Shooter's Choice on all my 1911s, other semi-autos and revolvers. I clean and lube after every range session.
    This has worked well for my guns for over 10 years.

Posts liked by others
    Just a note to say, my Kimber manuals says, "Use a High Tech Gun Oil such as Shooter's Choice FP-10 or similar quality oil (grease is not recommended)." No issue using these high spec oils, but I don't think better than just good olde machine oil is necessary for 1911 maintenance. Save the grease for the lever actions.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by slohunter View Post
    I use the same oil as in my Harley, 20w50 Mobil-1 for V-Twins.
    Same here, but I use Redline synthetic in my Harley's and firearms.

Posts liked by others
    I use oil made by Italian Gun Grease, it's a synthetic blend and stay's put. Look them up online, they have a great line of gun cleaning products, and all work great!
    Peace Through Superior Firepower

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by CitizenT View Post
    Yup, I like Valvoline Racing oil. It protects 4000 horsepower funny car engines. About $5 per quart. 3in1 oil, machine oil, nothing fancy at all lube is what I have used for 5 decades for all types of arms and never had any sort of lube problems.
    I think you have been out of the racing loop for some time? Even the Top Alcohol cars are well north of your HP quote. I agree lube is lube run what you have that's handy. People will learn If its too thin it gets flung off, too much lube and it gets flung off or attracts dirt/crud. I lube mine the same as the Bulls Eye shooters do, I happen too use CLP 2 drops on each rail, 1 on each lug, 1 for the bushing, 1 for the disco hand cycle a few strokes and then go bang away. Any extra lube from after shooting makes the powder fouling/residue easy too wipe away not like there is much. I'm still working on the same quart bottle for the last 15years.

I save the grease for the rifles, my 1911 is tight enough that any grease on the rails would get squeezed out and have little too no effect.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by 11 Bravo View Post
    I've been using BreakFree CLP on every firearm I have ever owned with no lubrication related problems ever. This is around 60 different firearms over a 40 year period. I like the way it cleans, never a spot of rust, and I don't have to deal with multiple products. Shake well before use.
    This is exactly my practice, too, with about the same number of firearms and for nearly the same period. BreakFree has successfully cleaned and lubed Glocks carried in the Northern Rockies in the winter, 1911's during four one-week sessions at Gunsite in the summer, AR's for CMP competition in all seasons, Ruger revolvers in the wet Pacific Northwest, etc. Yes, indeed, shake well. And know how to detail strip, clean and properly lube every weapon you own.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast