Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ed Brown Executive Carry

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
    Sweet pistol! Put there is no serial number visible on this pistol so we can't help much. Should be on the other side.

The other side of my Kobra Carry is bare like your Executive Carry Both slide and frame. I've had this pistol probably 9 years or so. The slide markings have changed over the years. No dates on the tritium sights?

I had the front lower corner of the ejection port relieved to allow reliable ejection of live FMJ cartridges during training. Brown doesn't (won't!) do this for reasons unknown.

Mine's as worn as yours but the stainless hides even the scratches at most viewing angles.

-- Chuck
    can you tell me if that is rust around the grip safety?

Posts liked by others
    Also, do you have any suggestions on maintaining it or specific issues associated to this model? I just purchased my KC and thought your experience may be helpful.

Posts liked by others
    I really like the blued finish over the Gen 3 paint on most new Ed Browns. Applied over stainless steel, though, so there's massive amounts of protection.

I bought my Kobra Carry a few years ago so I'd stop buying M1911s looking for the "right one." Didn't stop me from buying the Special Forces model this summer but did work for a few years.

For those researching the Ed Browns there's no difference between my Kobra Carry and the Executive Carry or Special Forces Carry (if it's not a stock model it can be ordered) other than the checkering. And finish. She came with those wonderful rosewood grips but they came off as soon as the new grips and bushings arrived. And the short trigger went in at the same time.

-- Chuck

Posts liked by others
    Maintenance is standard M1911. Keep in mind you can't over-lubricate a M1911. You can make a mess, but that's a different problem. Also there's range lube (where you expect to shoot hundreds of rounds) and carry lube which can be sparing and save your clothing.

I use milspec CLP for all maintenance. No "bore cleaner" and solvents needed. When my KC was new I took her to a 3-day basic tactical pistol and did nothing more field strip, wipe clean and run a bore snake thru the pistol -- after day 2. I really wanted to see what maintenance was needed and the answer was None. We were being tested on Day 3 and I cheated and cleaned the pistol. I've induced stoppages in M1911s with grease and "shock buffers" and refuse to use either.

I've had a problem on the range with both my Kobra Carry and Special Forces model. Live .45ACP FMJ rounds will hang up in the ejection port during stoppage drills. I have front corner milled out on the stainless steel Kobra, still looking for a solution that doesn't require the slide to be refinished for the Special Forces. This problem is inexcusable (in any M1911). The other solution is a shorter ejector but that will decrease reliability.

-- Chuck

Posts liked by others
    Keep in mind you can't over-lubricate a M1911.
    Oh yes you can... my only malfunction in a Colt Commander happened when I doused it with so much CLP that the magazine (which I hadn't oiled, of course) became soaked after it was inserted and the lips were struggling to grip the rounds in it.

I also ruined the shirt I was wearing, with all the CLP flying back to it... which I guess is part of 'making a mess'!

Locking the slide back and wiping all the parts I could reach (including the mags) cured the problem.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    I missed this question earlier:

There is some slight pitting on the grip safety of my Kobra Carry which was caused by blood which will damage steel and stainless steel will rust under the right conditions.

Nothing as dramatic as a gunfight! No "there I was" story! And I no longer even notice it.

A young woman attended one of our 3-day basic tactical pistol courses a couple of years ago with her boy friend who provided her with a P.0.S. M1911 that was so unreliable she was "going home" the afternoon of the first day until I offered her the pistol. She apparently had lots of slide bite earlier! I missed this when initially cleaning the pistol. Non-functional and I have a "there I was" story for others who ask!

-- Chuck

Posts liked by others
    What a terrible experience she must have had. Thanks for clarifying for me as I just acquired an Kobra Carry and was wondering if that was a wear area. On another note, it sure would be nice if you could go to a mega store and be able to see,touch and feel all these different accessories available such as grips.

Posts liked by others
    She had a terrible first day with that pistol. Her boy friend had a very nice Colt M1911 that was completely reliable.

This behavior is almost typical. Guys get cheap (junk) pistols for their wives or girl friends and keep the good stuff for themselves. Sorry to say many guys think their wife or girl friend is too stupid to operate a "complex" automatic pistol and buy a revolver for them. Usually a "concealable" model which is about the worst pistol to learn to shoot with and which proves nearly impossible to load under stress. Gun store clerks, who have to sell something, will push revolvers on women all the time. Claim they're fail-safe. Don't tell them how difficult DA pistols are to master.

Good M1911s are typically ordered, not bought at the gun store. The gun stores are full of mediocre pistols which are perfect for casual shooters which is probably greater than 95% of the gun buying population. Otherwise why would Glocks be so popular? Cheap. Reliable. Repairable. Buy and forget.

I bought my Special Forces model at Top Gun Supply, a local Cleveland shop. They noted they rarely sell Ed Browns (or other high end M1911s) locally but almost exclusively thru their internet site. They keep them on order and have a half dozen showing "in stock" on their website this morning.

Despite the 100 page Brownells M1911 catalog there is no need to "accessorize" the M1911. There are so many "accessories" merely because folks will buy them. Items I want are good, thin grips to fit my hands better; a standard trigger (incorrectly called a "short trigger") for reach and to shoot with gloves as necessary; and good Tritium night sights (high visibility are paramount). I don't like sticky rubber grips and overly aggressive frame checkering as both slow getting a firing grip on the pistol from the holster. Front cooling fins are a styling gimmick but harmless. Things like full length recoil spring guides are nicely absent from Ed Brown pistols.

I've gone full circle back to ambidextrous frame safeties. We're a product of our instructors. Sometimes the last one.

-- Chuck

Posts liked by others
    Front cooling fins are a styling gimmick but harmless. -- Chuck
    I'm unfamiliar with cooling fins on a M1911. Please explain. Are you referring to forward cocking serrations?

Posts liked by others
    Things like full length recoil spring guides are nicely absent from Ed Brown pistols.
    A two piece guide rod is listed as a standard accessory on their order sheet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast