Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Best Hearing Protection?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Best Hearing Protection?

I couldn't really find a section where this question would fit in best, so I ended up here. Also not to much information resulted from a search. I'd appreciate advice from anyone and everyone on what appears to be good quality hearing protection---plugs, and/or electronic muffs. I picked up some of the Sure Fire Sonic Defender EP4's and I've been fighting those things for a week. Evidently my ear canal's different from everyone else in the nation because I can seat them in tightly and get a good seal then 10 to 30 seconds later they slowly work their way out enough to loose max protection. I've got 3+ pair of ancient plugs from work that do a better job sealing out gunfire but I'd like to update to something better. Just got back from shooting (highly frustrated) and I ended up using some old muffs on top of the Sure Fires. I'm open to suggestions?
    Last edited by JD11; 21st January 2014 at 13:12.

Posts liked by others
    I'm a Peltor fan...

Posts liked by others
    I have no experience with the EP4 but neither of two sets of molded in place earplugs I paid for is quiet or comfortable.
    For rifle shooting I wear the cheap but well rated foam plugs and for pistol either Ear Pro or Peltor muffs at 30 dB.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the replies. After researching ear protection to death yesterday, I ordered the Peltor 30db muffs and some Howard Leight 33db foam plugs. Thanks to Amazon Prime, they'll be here tomorrow and the shipping is free.

Posts liked by others
    Those two items used in combination should do you quite well.
    SEMPER FI

Posts liked by others
    That's what I'm thinking. On many of the reviews lots of guys always use both which was a surprise to me. It's a wonder I (and others) can hear at all. When I was real young none of us even heard of ear protection. I used to bench rest shoot my 7MM Rem Mag for hours on end with no protection. I'd disc my ex FIL's fields with his Cat dozer, no muffler, straight stack, 2 ft. in front of my face day in and day out. Older and wiser, now I grab plugs and eye protection even using the skill saw for a minute.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by JD11 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. After researching ear protection to death yesterday, I ordered the Peltor 30db muffs and some Howard Leight 33db foam plugs. Thanks to Amazon Prime, they'll be here tomorrow and the shipping is free.
    In general, that is an excellent choice and very similar to what I use. THE BEST HEARING PROTECTION IS THAT WHICH YOU WILL USE! Peltor makes several muff models. Mine is an older amplified model that has output limit set so as not to amplify louder sounds, then, with the Howard Leight Max plugs under that, the gun fire is remarkably attenuated. A large factor for success is proper placement of the expandable foam plugs. Take time to roll-compress them down as far as possible, then stretch them, then roll compress again. The outside edge of the plug should be flush with or just below the "tragus" (that little triangular cartilage tag at the front of our ears). In doing, you will likely get even more protection than the rated NRR. Put them on like you see on television gun shows (where they stick out like Frankenstein's bolts and you will not get anywhere near the rated protection). Ear wax impaction is the pit-fall of plugs, see your Doc.

Bear in mind decibels are base 10 logarithmic, so you do not calculate combined exposures or attenuations with simple addition and subtraction. Rule of thumb is that doubling-up on dB values (your 30dB muff plus your 30dB plug) will "only" add 3dB to the attenuation, ie 33dB. BUT, that is a lot because each increase in value by 3 represents a doubling of energy attenuated. In practice, we typically see a 5dB gain in protection with properly placed plugs covered with "equal" rated muffs. "Only" 5dB seems "small", but is actually huge and the louder the offending sound the more huge it is -exponentially!

Almost always in the clinic we find that the top performing foam plugs such as Howard Leight Max and EAR Classic out perform even the best muffs such as EAR, Peltor, or Howard Leight "Thunder 29". Often, the better muffs out perform custom molded plugs. However, custom molded plugs, if properly cast and finished can be very good; the problem is variability in placement by the user and the tendency to become uncomfortable for patients with a lot of jaw motion or Temporo-Mandibular Joint pain (TMJ). If you use custom molded plugs a lube such as ChapStick Classic or a thin film of mineral oil can increase your chances of seating them properly and more comfortably. The provider of custom plugs should also be able to test them in your ears to provide you with a P-NRR ) Personal Noise Reduction Rating.

prs

Posts liked by others
    PRS, thank you for the really informative advice. I just learned more from you than by reading any of the plug/muff mfgr's instructions. I was playing around with the Leight Max plugs in the house yesterday (snow and wind, couldn't go shoot) and I can see I definitely was NOT rolling and compressing them enough. Just tried one again per your instructions and there's a big improvement. However I could shove those EP4 Sonic Defenders halfway through the side of my head and they'd still work there way out, plus even fully inserted, they're not near as effective as the Leight Max's 33NRR versus 24NRR. Live and learn, and thanks again.
    "Only" 5dB seems "small", but is actually huge and the louder the offending sound the more huge it is -exponentially!
    I still remember that being discussed years ago at a safety meeting at work.
    top performing foam plugs such as Howard Leight Max and EAR Classic out perform even the best muffs such as EAR, Peltor, or Howard Leight "Thunder 29".
    That's interesting, I would have thought just the opposite. I've got enough of the Max plugs that came in my recent order to replace all the inferior types I keep in both pickups, 4 wheeler, garage toolbox, etc.
    Last edited by JD11; 27th January 2014 at 11:16.