Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Randall expert needed!

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Randall expert needed!

I picked this up on a part trade about awhile back and would love some insight on what I've got. All the research I've done doesn't put this anywhere. I took it to a gunsmith who would swear it was factory ported. No record of Randall porting though. The slide is neither round or square. No prototype markings or stamps--- just the RF000xxxx serial. I am a newbie to Randalls. Do I shoot this thing or put it in the safe? Any thoughts or help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Hope this link works...
    http://s1124.photobucket.com/user/po...Randall%201911

Posts liked by others
    Welcome to the forum. I have not heard of a factory ported barrel but then I am not an expert. TexasRedNeck will be along soon to answer your question.
    Last edited by tekarra; 4th December 2013 at 16:27.

Posts liked by others
    Well....I ain't a "expert" - but that's a Curtis LeMay model.....or at least, how it started. It's got aftermarket rear sight, and the porting was (nicely) done after it left the factory. That porting destroyed the collector value - but it WILL be a fun gun to shoot!

Watch that spring buffer, though - I tend to respring 'em rather than leave 'em - they go bad over time, and if you've grabbed the gun because things have suddenly gone south, and that buffer comes apart, you're gonna have a nice club - but that's about it.

Posts liked by others
    Thank you for the replies. I was hoping I had a collector but I'm also happy to hear it's a shooter. I ran 30 rounds through it and it functioned perfectly. Lots louder than my Colt Compact. Since hearing in the distant past about ports ejecting debris, I wasn't sure what to expect. Any idea why the top of the slide is thin, flat and grooved? And is it typical of Randalls to have the matte finish on the slide? Photos I've seen seem to have a thick ridge on the flat slide and have a buffed luster shine. Sorry for being a noob and I appreciate any education. I've got the 1911 bug.

Posts liked by others
    Randall made 3 styles of slides - round, flat-top w/fixed sights, flat-top w/adjustable sights. top (rounded or flat) matte finished, sides polished.