Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Glock (beater) of 1911s?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

The Glock (beater) of 1911s?

I've carried 1911s for years and have loved and cared for each and every one of those. About a year ago, I started to carry a Glock 23 because it was a gun I could carry and yet not worry about. With all of my 1911s, I would stress about scratches, corrosion on hot summer days, banging it against stuff and finish wear. I found that when I carried a Glock, I took that bit of stress out of my life. If I have to crawl under the car, I don't worry what it does to my EDC gun, I just crawl under the car. It was quite liberating, like having a winter beater car that you did not worry about salt and stuff. But, it was not a 1911 and I really like those.

I think I may have found my 'Glock' of 1911s in a Remington R1S. My goal when buying this gun was to have a beater 1911 that I could wear anywhere I wanted without concern over scratches or rust. I've run about 500 rounds through it so far and it's been fantastic. Being stainless, I don't worry about it rusting up if I carry it while mowing the yard on a hot summer day. It has the bowtie VIS, so it seems Remington has learned their lesson in that area. My goal with this gun is to do nothing to it outside of normal maintenance. The trigger is plenty good enough (especially when compared to a 'tuned' Glock trigger) so I don't feel the need to do any rework there. The stock grips are fine now that I stripped them, cleaned up the checkering to improve the feel, stained them darker and gave them a couple of coats of linseed oil. I may swap the sights out for night sights eventually, but am happy with the stock sights for now.

It's funny how some guns just click with you and let you shoot better with them then you do with other guns. This is one of those for me. It is like my Kimber Compact, CZ 75 Compact and Glock 23. For some reason, I shoot this group of guns better than other guns in the same class. I shoot the Remy better than I do my Springfield or Sig 1911s but don't know why.

What is your 'Glock' of 1911s? In other words, what is your 'beater' 1911? This is mine:
    Last edited by 88E30M50; 2nd December 2013 at 16:31.

Posts liked by others
    Well done on your new beater. Some guns just seem "right" when you pick them up.

Posts liked by others
    While I wouldn't call it a beater, I am carrying my Ruger CMD daily, and I'm not babying it. I haven't heard even a tiny complaint from it. My only observations are that I wish the hammer was SS or coated in some way as it discolored due to moisture and the grips did work loose with all of the shooting it does. Trying the o ring fix.

James
    If you're about to stir the pot, you better be prepared to lick the spoon.

Posts liked by others
    I don't have a beater 1911. I have a S&W 1911PD that's my EDC. I maintain it properly and otherwise, don't worry about it.

If I were to ever get a beater 1911, I think I'd find an old Norinco 1911. They're tough as nails (hard steel). I'd do some mods and then have it Ion-Bond or Cerakoted.

Posts liked by others
    My main carry is a Colt Commander I bought new in 2007. All I changed was to put some hard rubber grips on it. It came with some nice wood double diamonds but grips take a hit on a carry gun.

Oddly enough I did pick up a beater. A couple years ago one of my friends bet me a nice steak dinner I could not find a Colt 1911 I would want to own in a gunstore for less than $500. The quest took me to many gunstores I had never been in before. I did find a 1991 (according to a Colt phone call) Commander in one. I sold the naked lady grips that were on it to a kid in the gunstore for $30. It had a FLGR and I put the correct guide rod and plug in it plus a new flat MSH (it had a Nylon arched one on it.) I sold the FLGR and plug for about $30. Today still have less than $500 in it. I was going to flip it for more money but it sort of grew on me so still have it. Below it has some grips from the old Ajax Co. on it, but it usually wears black hard rubber Colt grips also.

NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others
    OK so lemme see: you've got these two, plus IIRC your wife has another one, from the 70s... all Colt Commanders, all blued. Great, but you should ask John for a curator's wage!
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Maybe current 'Beaters' weren't intended to start out that way.

The status of 'beater' would seem to be earned.

After Alchemy tweaked the slide travel, and function, on my baer Comanche, the Comanche went to the head of the line. It has now earned every day carry 'beater' status.
    Last edited by saltydog; 18th December 2013 at 12:23.

Posts liked by others
    My first Rock after many transformations, has earned my fall/ winter EDC beater status. It will, however, be retired from that distinction this spring.

Beauty is skin deep but ugly goes right to the bone.

Posts liked by others
    The thing is, there is an inherent problem with this thread and that is this - While a 1911 certainly can be a beater, i.e my RIA G.I. model. However a Glock can never be a 1911. I find it amusing that so many Glock fans and others criticize the 1911 needing to be tuned so that it shoots 1 inch groups at 25 yds out-of-the-box or that some of them need to be tuned inorder to shoot any ammo ever imagined by anyone who ever lived under the sun. Yet, I have yet to find Glock Shooters concerned that their Glocks don't shoot 1 inch groupings at 25 yds or have a hiccup here or there. The modern 1911 workhorse aka RIA G.I. shoots fairly, eats anything you give it - and while it could be tuned to shoot like a Wesson or Brown - shoots just as nice as any Glock I've ever met. And now, now, the criticism is that 1911's are just too special to be stomped on, flung into traffice, etc. because that is something Glocks are best at. Ha! You see, the thing about a 1911 is that it can be tuned to greatness but it already is Great as it is out of the box. Your average ugly G.I. model is your beater and you will be hard to beat it with any other weapon.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by telescopes View Post
    The thing is, there is an inherent problem with this thread and that is this - While a 1911 certainly can be a beater, i.e my RIA G.I. model. However a Glock can never be a 1911. I find it amusing that so many Glock fans and others criticize the 1911 needing to be tuned so that it shoots 1 inch groups at 25 yds out-of-the-box or that some of them need to be tuned inorder to shoot any ammo ever imagined by anyone who ever lived under the sun. Yet, I have yet to find Glock Shooters concerned that their Glocks don't shoot 1 inch groupings at 25 yds or have a hiccup here or there. The modern 1911 workhorse aka RIA G.I. shoots fairly, eats anything you give it - and while it could be tuned to shoot like a Wesson or Brown - shoots just as nice as any Glock I've ever met. And now, now, the criticism is that 1911's are just too special to be stomped on, flung into traffice, etc. because that is something Glocks are best at. Ha! You see, the thing about a 1911 is that it can be tuned to greatness but it already is Great as it is out of the box. Your average ugly G.I. model is your beater and you will be hard to beat it with any other weapon.
    I gotta agree.
    Do you see that picture of the Rock in the post right above yours? I shoot golf balls at 15 yards with it. It is 100% reliable with everything I feed it and is deadly accurate at any combat distance. I couldn't come close with any of the Glocks that I've shot and that would be about 7 or 8 different pistols. You can shoot something that's about ergonomically perfect in your hand or you can try to shoot with a brick.
    Beauty is skin deep but ugly goes right to the bone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast