Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Planning First Custom Order...

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Planning First Custom Order...

I own a couple of Browns - a 5" Executive Elite and a 5" SF, both in SS/G3 - and I have decided to trade in my only other semi-custom 1911 - a Nighthawk Enforcer - for another Brown.

This time I am thinking about a custom order... My LGS is a premier Brown dealer and can turn a custom around in 30-60 days, and the owner even told me that if I order one and don't love it due to fit & finish imperfections (I am REALLY particular) he wouldn't hold me to the purchase as long as I avoid engravings and customer serial numbers... Heck of a thing, huh? Love that guy...

So... I am thinking about a Commander model... Prolly the EE... In CS/Blue with a solid trigger, with chainlink, a standard (not bobbed) frame and slim grips...

Anyone have experience with the bluing Brown is doing recently? If so, what say you? Will be a range and nightstand gun, but will definitely be subject to some carry wear as well... I read something about premature purpling with the Browns a few years ago... Fact or fiction, these days?

Also... any other customizations I ought to be considering?

Weigh in, one and all...

MOS
    Last edited by mos; 28th November 2013 at 18:14.

Posts liked by others
    I just bought and took delivery of a stock KC in the G3 finish, wish I'd ordered it with the ribbing* on the top of the slide; but I don't regret the stock gun and won't be sending it in for the ribs unless it needs something else. You're very lucky to be able to get EBs so quickly; care to share who you are dealing with?

* "Flatten and serrate top" under slide options on the order form.
    Last edited by CPO15; 1st December 2013 at 08:27. Reason: Brain stone

Posts liked by others
    I get the top-serration thing... my NHC is configured that way... have to tell you, though, in the end I think I'd like your piece better the way it is... the metalwork on the KCs is modern enough... appreciate the classic lines of the slide-top for what they are... beautiful, clean and unbroken...

My LGS is Powers Firearms in beautiful Greensboro, NC... if you call them, ask for Rick and tell them that Michael referred you...

MOS

Quote Originally Posted by CPO15 View Post
    I just bought and took delivery of a stock KC in the G3 finish, wish I'd ordered it with the ribbing* on the top of the slide; but I don't regret the stock gun and won't be sending it in for the ribs unless it needs something else. You're very lucky to be able to get EBs so quickly; care to share who you are dealing with?

* "Flatten and serrate top" under slide options on the order form.

Posts liked by others
    I have a several year old Kobra Carry and a couple month old Special Forces model. Both have the bobtailed frame and I strongly prefer if to my standard frame Colt's which have frame corners that stick in my ribs when I carry. I'm not a fan of blued pistols unless you're willing to put up with lots of wear and I put quite a bit of wear on my pistols. Use, not abuse.

The darn barrel bushing is so tight on the new SF that the Gen 3 finish has wear on the front of the slide from a barrel wrench. Probably careless on my part but I never expected it to be that tight and the finish so soft. Black Gen 3 finish. The Kobra is stainless and has plenty of scratches but they don't show as bad. I'm sure Brown will refinish the slide for me wen it really needs it.

-- Chuck

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
    I have a several year old Kobra Carry and a couple month old Special Forces model. Both have the bobtailed frame and I strongly prefer if to my standard frame Colt's which have frame corners that stick in my ribs when I carry. I'm not a fan of blued pistols unless you're willing to put up with lots of wear and I put quite a bit of wear on my pistols. Use, not abuse.

The darn barrel bushing is so tight on the new SF that the Gen 3 finish has wear on the front of the slide from a barrel wrench. Probably careless on my part but I never expected it to be that tight and the finish so soft. Black Gen 3 finish. The Kobra is stainless and has plenty of scratches but they don't show as bad. I'm sure Brown will refinish the slide for me wen it really needs it.

-- Chuck
    So you'd suggest SS for a hard-use gun, then?

Posts liked by others
    Not necessarily. Hard use will put wear on the pistol. These pistols are Gen3 over stainless so the wear won't really affect them other than cosmetically.

All stainless pistols are harder to clean 'cuz all the dirt shows!

-- Chuck