Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Novak's Low-Mount Wide and Super-Wide rear sights

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Novak's Low-Mount Wide and Super-Wide rear sights

So as not to high-jack Spirithawk’s thread on the Arnscore/Rock Island thread;

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.ph...4&page=1&pp=10

I start this new one.
    When I had mentioned Novak’s wide rear-sight I meant his Low-Mount, Wide-Notch; of which there are two.

The Wide Notch 0.140-inch
    and the Super Wide Notch 0.170-inch

Listed in Brownells 1911 Catalog Number 9, they are on the top-left of page 46.

Sturm Ruger offers the Super Wide.
    Novak's® SR1911® LoMount Rear Super Wide Notch Sight - 12973
    linked here;
    http://shopruger.com/Novaks-SR1911-L...uctinfo/12973/

Unfortunately Novak’s website does not give any stock numbers and I can only find the Wide Notch 0.140-inch. Link;
    http://www.novaksights.com/products/sights/index.html
    Wapiti
    "Eez gon! Eez not safe!" a Russian translator; The Art of the Rifle: Special Color Edition; Jeff Cooper, p. 23. Guns are made to be dangerous, otherwise what is the point? Safety is, primarily, a matter of engaging the circuits between the ears..
    NRA Lifetime Member
    Last edited by Wapiti; 16th November 2013 at 03:00.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    OK, now, .... is there a question hidden in this?!?!?!
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    OK, now, …. is there a question hidden in this?!?!?!
    I can only believe that the reason for Novak's website's sparseness is due to his overload of work. He will only take on work dealing with sights; no other gunsmith work. So he might not update his website because he does not have the time. It's not really hurting his business the way it is now.
    What did catch my eye is the proliferation of round dots, on both rear notches and front posts.
    My only serious training was in an NRA small bore program when I was a teenager and the front sight was either a flat post or one of these Lyman's;

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/s...ont-sights.php

I find it difficult to use dots after using a flat index. Do Bullseye shooters use a dot on the front? Do they cover the bull with a bead? Or do they index a front post on the six-o'clock?
    Wapiti
    "Eez gon! Eez not safe!" a Russian translator; The Art of the Rifle: Special Color Edition; Jeff Cooper, p. 23. Guns are made to be dangerous, otherwise what is the point? Safety is, primarily, a matter of engaging the circuits between the ears..
    NRA Lifetime Member
    Last edited by Wapiti; 16th November 2013 at 04:29.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    It all depends on your shooting discipline and your preferences.

For bullseye shooting, a flat front and a plain rear are best, those guys align the top of the front sight with the bottom of the black circle. So black (the sights) on white (the bottom part of the target) gives the best possible sight image.

If you are talking about self defense, and you want white dots, most people adjust their pistols so when the front dot is on the target and the three dots are aligned, the bullet goes where the front dot was.

One more thing, cutting the slide with a file, to install the Novak Low Mounts, is an exercise in futility. Find someone with a lathe, or send your slide to a gunsmith. What will be a 1/2 hour job for them people, will take you ... months, with doubtful results.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Posts liked by others
    John's
    all depends on your shooting discipline and your preferences.

For bullseye shooting, a flat front and a plain rear are best, those guys align the top of the front sight with the bottom of the black circle. So black (the sights) on white (the bottom part of the target) gives the best possible sight image.
    That is exactly like my NRA shooting small bore rifle was 50+ years ago! Some techniques don’t change. Not that attempts have not been made; those who steped aside came back for a reason.
    If you are talking about self defense, and you want white dots, most people adjust their pistols so when the front dot is on the target and the three dots are aligned, the bullet goes where the front dot was.
    At a known distance…yes. And the distance for self defense is usually at a conversional distance.
    One more thing, cutting the slide with a file, to install the Novak Low Mounts, is an exercise in futility. Find someone with a lathe, or send your slide to a gunsmith. What will be a 1/2 hour job for them people, will take you ... months, with doubtful results
    On that I also agree.
    John, we are on the same page.
    Regards,
    Wapiti
    NRA Lifetime Member
    Last edited by Wapiti; 16th November 2013 at 05:42.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, some times I write the obvious, just to make sure someone doesn't know what we are talking about and destroys his/her pistol. Forgive me for that!
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    Yeah, some times I write the obvious, just to make sure someone doesn't know what we are talking about and destroys his/her pistol. Forgive me for that!
    To acclimate those new members who are studying the 1911 for the first time, we should accommodate them by communicating clearly and taking nothing for granted.
    So, John you did the appropriate thing; you were watching out for those who might sabotage their 1911s!
    Without new membership any once well-oiled organization won't have any fuel.

I often wonder about the names Springfield Armory Incorporated and Springfield Armory, once an Armory of the US and now The Springfield Armory National Historic Site. Unrelated but in name and their connection with weapons.

Are some confused? You Betchem, Red Ryder

http://www.springfield-armory.com/
    http://www.nps.gov/spar/index.htm

Wapiti
    NRA Lifetime Member
    Last edited by Wapiti; 16th November 2013 at 08:36.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Wapiti
    At a known distance…yes. And the distance for self defense is usually at a conversional distance.

On that I also agree.
    But this is true for any sight picture, at any distance. I also learned to shoot using a six o'clock hold. But the distance was a constant, and the size of the bullseye was also a constant. If I regulate my sights so that a six o'clock hold hits the center of a 6-inch bullseye at 25 yards, I am hitting three inches above point of aim. Now ... what happens if I swap in a target with a two-inch bullseye? I'll still hit three inches above point of aim ... but now I won't even be in the black.

The three dots covering point of impact isn't intended for bullseye accuracy -- it is intended for self-defense accuracy. For that purpose, it works fine. Check out the trajectory for "standard" 230-grain FMJ .45 Auto ammunition. The difference in point of impact from 25 feet to 50 feet to 75 feet isn't that much. It's enough to be significant to a bullseye shooter. For self-defence purposes, it's no difference at all.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 16th November 2013 at 09:30.