Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Pistol Review: Cabot Guns Southpaw

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Pistol Review: Cabot Guns Southpaw

After a long wait, we have posted our review of Cabot Guns' "Southpaw," a true left-handed (mirror image) 1911, in the Fall issue of our e-zine. You can find the article here.

Please use this thread to discuss the review and the pistol.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 31st October 2013 at 19:28.

Posts liked by others
    Great review, as always!
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Excellent review of the South Paw, but at $4-5k I wonder how many they will actually sell. Granted, its not a mass production pistol, but a true custom. However, I'd like to know where do they come up with these numbers? Also, the "South Paw" logo along the bottom of the slide frame rail looks out of place, it should be centered, but hey, that's just my opinion.

Then again, its sorta a one of a kind pistola and if you've been cursed with the south paw diease, I guess its worth every penny. (-:

Posts liked by others
    Excellent review! A Cabot pistol, be it southpaw or standard, is obviously a top of the line firearm and a work of art. However, as was stated, it is not for the average gun owner; due to price point. It falls into the category, 'you get what you pay for', but the average guy at the range will most likely never get to own one. As implied, it is a niche market. ....I would love to shoot one sometime, so if any of you own one here in Florida, let me know where and when you plan to visit the range and I would be glad to meet you there and give it a try.

Be safe
    Dave
    Maybe not the sharpest tack in the box......but not dull!

Posts liked by others
    Good job on the review, as always, thank you.
    I agree that it is not for everyone, but that is part of what makes it "Special". IMHO

Posts liked by others
    We'd like to extend our thanks to Harwood Loomis for taking the time and effort to review our left handed 1911. We'll do our best to answer questions as possible. M1911.org was the first to cover Cabot Guns with a review of the CGI Classic and is now first to test and publish a review of our South Paw.

Posts liked by others
    Great review of an interesting gun. I'm surprised a lefty 1911 hasn't been done before.

The section on the front sight was very interesting to me. As pointed out, the position should be fixed as the rear can make up any adjustments. The crossways dovetails I would think are mostly for aftermarket sights or convenience in manufacturing. As for the fore and aft dovetail never being done before, I have a Hi Power with a sight like that.

It's dovetailed front to rear with a pin or two driven up from underneath. I wish I knew who did the work because I'd like to replace the sight blade with a new one.

Vern
    Last edited by vmr357; 5th November 2013 at 23:37. Reason: word smithing

Posts liked by others
    Well written article. I enjoyed the background into Cabot Arms and the quality of the products they build. The precision put into their 1911's is amazing.
    Thanks for including lefties in the testing of SOUTHPAW.

BUT....my opinion is this example should be named Mirror Image.
    This is a mirror image of the 1911 and not a left handers 1911. Why do I think this?

Let's start with right handers modifications that have been done to ease their use.
    Extended slide release, to make it easier to reach without changing your grip.
    Oversize magazine release buttons, also to ease the use without changing your grip.
    Now we even have scalloped left side grip panels. I wonder what those are for?

Modifications for a lefty. Ambi safety so we can more easily work the safety.
    Slide release? The trigger finger falls right on or under it as needed.
    Magazine release? Again the trigger finger or the the middle finger.
    Scalloped grip panel? Feels like something's missing

I've had discussions with friends that the 1911 is more a lefties pistol than a right handers pistol due to the things I've outlined. The only thing placed wrong was the thumb safety. As for the enection port, it doesn't matter as long as the empty cases don't hit you in the face.

So the real reason Chris was having problems adapting to the southpaw was that he was a lefty trying to shoot a right handed 1911 for the first time.

Just my opinion but think about it.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Darn, I knew there was something wrong with the 1911. That's why I can't hit a barn (from the inside).
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Darn, I knew there was something wrong with the 1911. That's why I can't hit a barn (from the inside).
    Lol. Don't think that's it John. I have the same problem with two reloads.
    Charlie