Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Next Ed Browm 9mm

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    9mm 1911's are a lot of fun to shoot. I've shot thousands of rounds of both 9 and .45 the last few years, and all have been in the woods or at the range, not one in a gunfight!

If this was going to be the OP's only gun or carry gun, I'd vote for the .45 too, seeing as round count differential is negligible compared to power differential. But I wouldn't dare talk any shooter out of getting a 9mm 1911! They're fun, less expensive to shoot, light recoil, and chicks dig them. I grip a handgun pretty tight, and let me tell you, there is a big difference in the amount of fatigue you will feel after a couple hours at the range. For the same reason, I'd never talk anyone out of a good .22 pistol. I think everybody should have at least one.

Posts liked by others
    Also, in countries where reloading is not legal, the 9mm can 'lighten' your shooting budget by around 30-40%... so for a range gun (i.e. nothing to do with self-defense) it makes quite a lot of sense... and you get a gun with sweet recoil.

Of course the downside is the teasing you get from your friends who shoot 'the real thing', who of course can point to their gun's recoil as an excuse if you happen to outshoot them. Swings and roundabouts...
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Last edited by Spyros; 1st January 2014 at 09:28.

Posts liked by others
    I agree with a different load for recoil purposes and certainly don't imply that one shouldn't for various reasons. .. If not that - then there are some cost savings as well. . But my statement was if you comfortable with a .45 then I would stay with it on the 1911 for the HD/Carry purposes.

Posts liked by others
    Since there is such a big call for 9mm 1911's I think Brown is staring to make them. I have seen a couple in the last several month's. LGS has a full size Kobra for $2.945.00..
    NRA Benefactor

Posts liked by others
    9mm M1911s can be extraction-finicky due to the differences in how the cartridge head centers on the slide face (it's farther away from the extractor channel in the slide). One would hope that a $2500+ pistol would be set up to handle this.

Imbel (in Brazil) made 9mm M1911 pistols for the Brazilian Army for many years (Brazilian Forces were equipped by the US Army for service in WW2 and they retained the M1911 design.) They later transitioned to the 9mm Beretta -- where the original frame safety lock in the Beretta M92 comes from. Springfield Armory uses Inbel forgings for their M1911s and imports some fully assembled. These may prove to be good pistols in 9mm based on Imbel's long experience with the design.

-- Chuck
    Last edited by Chuck S; 13th April 2014 at 09:26.

Posts liked by others
    I have two 1911's in 9mm. Cheap to shoot and nary any type of problem at all with either one. Now I am looking for a premium 1911 in 9mm. That's how much I enjoy shooting them..
    NRA Benefactor

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Lab View Post
    Since there is such a big call for 9mm 1911's I think Brown is staring to make them. I have seen a couple in the last several month's. LGS has a full size Kobra for $2.945.00..
    EB made 50 9mm Executive Targets in 2010 and 100 SFs in 2012. All sold out within hours of the announcements. I was fortunate enough to snag one of each. They are phenomenal, especially the ET. They haven't issued anything else in 9mm.
    Last edited by nosreme; 24th April 2014 at 18:09.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by nosreme View Post
    EB made 50 9mm Executive Targets in 2010 and 100 SFs in 2012. All sold out within hours of the announcements. I was fortunate enough to snag one of each. They are phenomenal, especially the ET. They haven't issued anything else in 9mm.
    I was at the store Tuesday and they still had the Ed Brown Kobra in 9mm. It's been there for sale about a month.
    I believe it had a GEN3 finish...
    It was marked as a new gun..
    NRA Benefactor

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Lab View Post
    I was at the store Tuesday and they still had the Ed Brown Kobra in 9mm. It's been there for sale about a month.
    I believe it had a GEN3 finish...
    It was marked as a new gun..
    Looks like you're right. I stand corrected. They seem to have slipped that one in under the radar without the usual frenzy-inducing announcements. I now have a decision to make...

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
    9mm M1911s can be extraction-finicky due to the differences in how the cartridge head centers on the slide face (it's farther away from the extractor channel in the slide). One would hope that a $2500+ pistol would be set up to handle this.

Imbel (in Brazil) made 9mm M1911 pistols for the Brazilian Army for many years (Brazilian Forces were equipped by the US Army for service in WW2 and they retained the M1911 design.) They later transitioned to the 9mm Beretta -- where the original frame safety lock in the Beretta M92 comes from. Springfield Armory uses Inbel forgings for their M1911s and imports some fully assembled. These may prove to be good pistols in 9mm based on Imbel's long experience with the design.

-- Chuck
    My new 9mm Springfield Range Officer is, indeed, a good pistol. It exhibits no fussiness at all. It feeds and extracts all bullet shapes with several brands of mags, including factory, Checkmate, Wilson, Tripp and even MecGar. The adjustable rear sight accepts large screwdriver blades, which is convenient at the range and helped me to find an easy 50-yard zero with NATO hardball. I installed Gunsite thin grips and their low-tab safety that fit my small hands, put a brass dot in the front sight and am enjoying the 9mm very much.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast