Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: NRA law enforcement competition gun suggestions

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

NRA law enforcement competition gun suggestions

Hey y'all. I'm brand new to the forum and to competition shooting; however, I've been shooting all my life. I just recently joined my university's pistol team and I have no idea where to start for a good competition gun. The shooting competitions are going to be NRA Law Enforcement competitions. I've been searching for hours trying to decide on what 1911 to pick up. I'm in love with the les baer thunder ranch. I'm looking for something very well made, reliable, and extremely accurate to make up for any error on my part. Thanks for any help! And sorry to any of you who are out there checking other 1911 forums as this is probably the third time you've seen this lol.
    Last edited by eers302; 11th September 2013 at 17:40.

Posts liked by others
    Are you looking at NRA Police Pistol Combat Competition, or NRA Tactical Police Competition?

Either way, it appears to me that they are both more akin to IPSC and IDPA than they are to traditional bullseye, which suggests that extreme accuracy is NOT the most important factor, since you're goal is to hit "minute of bad guy" rather than try to squeeze 10 holes into an X-ring about the size of a half dollar. You want a pistol that's reliable, above all.

Fortunately, there are reliable pistols at all the price points of the 1911 spectrum. We can easily and happily help you spend $2,000 to $3,000 if that's your druthers, but you don't have to spend nearly that much to get a good pistol.

Just to pick a couple of examples, I might suggest you look at the Colt Special Combat Government, and the Springfield Range Officer.

I'm sure other people will be along with their suggestions.

Do you have a budget?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 11th September 2013 at 19:17.

Posts liked by others
    FIRST, visit the team and talk to the coach. There may be a team standard gun or caliber. Many shooting teams want all members to be shooting the same thing for uniformity of instruction.

I am not familiar with "NRA Law Enforcement competitions" other than the PPC.
    If you will be shooting the PPC on the B27 target with its 4x6" ten ring at several different ranges, 7-50 yards, adjustable sights would be an asset.
    The Baer Premier II is good, or whichever similar gun they offer in 9mm.
    Assuming you get to pick.

Posts liked by others
    Hawkmoon, I am 99% sure that it is Police Pistol Combat Competition. The coach made it seem like it was a bullseye competition, but then he mentioned that on one course you fire 6 rounds kneeling, 6 standing with your strong hand, and then 6 with your weak hand. and from 4 or 5 distances between 7-50 yards. I completely forgot all of that information until Jim Watson jogged my memory with his comment. I was hoping to keep my budget under 2k but I could probably go up a little. I know I don't need nearly that much to get a quality pistol, but I figured I would go ahead and get something great as my participation on this team will probably result in me competing in a lot of other competitions.

Jim Watson, there is no standard gun or caliber, as long as it is a service caliber. We can use either revolvers or semi automatics, which is what I personally prefer. You are right about it being the PPC. He didn't really get into details today. All he mentioned was competing at different law enforcement conventions, that they are NRA events, and the National Police Championships in New Mexico. Turns out you know more than me and you weren't even sitting in the room haha.
    Last edited by eers302; 11th September 2013 at 19:51.

Posts liked by others
    I shot PPC regularly back in the Stone Age of the 1970s. Gold Cup and Python.
    It is not quite as accuracy intensive as bullseye, but a lot more than the action events. IPSC and now IDPA have ruined my accuracy by favoring speed.

I would consider adjustable sights essential.

What about ammunition? Must you supply your own?

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson
    I shot PPC regularly back in the Stone Age of the 1970s. Gold Cup and Python.
    It is not quite as accuracy intensive as bullseye, but a lot more than the action events. IPSC and now IDPA have ruined my accuracy by favoring speed.

What about ammunition? Must you supply your own?
    Yes sir. We have to provide our own. Do you have experience with the Baer Premier? If so, what ammo did you find worked best with it?

Posts liked by others
    A friend has a PII but accuracy requirements for IDPA are not great.
    ETA. I did not mean the gun was not accurate, but that he has no incentive to feed it "match grade" ammunition. The pistol is fine for the job.

Back in my PPC days, I hand loaded semiwadcutters at low velocity.

These days I would load or buy the USMC match load with 185 grain Nosler JHP at 750-775 fps.
    Asym and Atlanta Arms makes them.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby...ensionid=15597

ETA. Most of the purpose built PPC automatics are 9mm. You have to be even more careful with ammo selection than .45, but the recoil is less than even midrange .45 and the accuracy can be excellent.
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 12th September 2013 at 01:35.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson
    Okay, the Springfield Range Officer has adjustable sights. For Colt, substitute the Gold Cup for the Special Combat Government.

They're both good guns. Personally, I'd get the Colt
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I have several of the Les Baer guns and they are all excellent and very accurate while being 100% reliable so far.
    The Springfield Range Officer should be a great choice in that price range. It's claimed to be a no frills version of the Trophy Match and my TM is quite an excellent 1911 as is the TRP.
    The best feeling one in my hand is my Colt Special Combat Gov't. It's always reliable and almost as accurate as my Springfields.
    Good luck with your choice. There's so many good ones out there to pick from.

Welcome to the forum.
    Lynnie, "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. "
    - Albert Camus

Posts liked by others

Thumbs up

I just returned from shooting the Tactical Police Competition and the New Mexico Challenge which is a side "fun match" before the NPSC in Albuquerque last weekend. It's to get officers involved in PPC without having to compete against experienced shooters. You basically shoot the Stock Service Pistol match. I took home a 2nd with my Kimber Custom Eclipse, which is not a premium match pistol by any means but its the tightest pistol I own, and it has adjustable target sights which I believe were a must when trying different ammo. If I had the $ to go buy a new pistol for PPC I would definitely go with a Clark Custom, a Baer Premium II with the 1.5" option, or maybe even the hardball model if you plan on getting into the NRA service pistol shooting (since there's more restrictions on the pistol features). These are all close to your price range. (Cabots are so far from my range I can't even see the range!) Knowing its you causing the problems and not your gun/ammo is a psychological win in my opinion because you only have one thing to work on....you! But regardless of what you settle on, its a great time!
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (23rd December 2018)

Last edited by Lane579; 19th September 2013 at 12:32.