Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flashlight suggestion

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Flashlight suggestion

Hi. I'd like to buy a tactical LED flashlight, 500+ lumens, strobe, under $130. Please advice.

Posts liked by others

to strobe or not to strobe--that is the question

Over the past 30+ years I have progressed from Maglites (the 2 and 5 D cell varieties, and the 5 D cell is by my bedside for use as a light and a club) to the current generation of LED lights. It's amazing how good lights are now. I also have progressed beyond strobe tactical flashlights--I have two or three, but I now think they are kind of "gimmicky" and not needed--like full length guide rods. I have spent time in dark rooms and at night outdoors testing and evaluating flashlights and strobes. I know that if I am ever in a shooting situation, I don't care if my opponent is using a fixed beam or strobe light, I'm shooting at and around the light source. This is just my opinion about strobes (and FLGR's) and there can be a lot of discussion pro and con.

My two main flashlights now are small enough to go into a pocket. They both light up my farm gate 50 yards from my house and way beyond--plenty of light for pretty much whatever you need:
    1. Streamlight Strion LED HP--This has a fairly focused beam and it is rechargeable. Also, it can function as a strobe.
    2. Surefire P2X Fury Defender--this uses CR123A batteries. It casts a broader beam than the Streamlight Strion.

I don't remember the number of lumens. But these are excellent for practical uses. They are both a couple of years old and new models may have displaced these.

I hope this helps. I can't believe that someone hasn't already given you their biased opinion (like mine).

Posts liked by others
    It's the 500+ lumens requirement that's stopping me from commenting. My small "tactical" lights are only 160 lumens and don't include a strobe feature. Having been exposed to bright strobes in a dark room, I am of the opinion that they DO disrupt the nervous system. Not incapacitating, but certainly disrupting. I think strobes have value. But ...

500+ lumens for under $130 strokes me as an impossible combination of requirements.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Hawkmoon, I agree with you that strobes could be very disrupting if a person has never experienced their effects in a dark environment. But I have in years past trained a few times with strobes flashing at me. As I mentioned earlier, I'm shooting at and around the strobe if that is where the threat is (and it probably will be). However, I hope to never have to deal with a solid beam flashlight or strobe at night!!

The main problem with flashlights is that people don't think about how to use them and don't practice with them. And any defensive (emphasis on defensive) encounter with a pistol at night should be a matter of only a few feet (15-20 at most). The person who holds a strobing flashlight deserves to be shot, in my opinion.

I looked up the specifications on the two flashlights:
    1. The Surefire P2X is listed at 500 lumens.
    2. The Streamlight Strion has three intensities--275/138/70 lumens plus the strobe feature. At 275 lumens the company states it is adequate out to 400 meters--a little farther than I ever need. Also, when comparing it with the Surefire, it seems bright but that may be because of the larger reflector on the Streamlight. As I mentioned previously, both light up my farm gate 50 yards from my porch.

Either flashlight is around $100, depending on where you buy it.

Posts liked by others
    You can find Fenix Model LD41 Flashlight 520 lumens for under $70.00. I have a Fenix PD22 $44.00 for about a year, which I carry on my belt. I also have a Surefire Defender E2D, which currently cost about $200. I can honestly say the quality of the Fenix line closely matches that of the Surefire!

Best of luck!
    Rich
    Certified NRA Instructor Pistol & Shotgun
    ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    "There Is No Greater High Than Defeating Armed Felons" Rich-D

Posts liked by others

How 'bout...

this business that has a 1400 lumen light for $59.95? Including rechargeable batteries and charger.

http://www.powerflashled.com/velociraptor/

But, don't jump up and order the light as I placed an order on the 14th and no light or response. I'm about to contact Discover and file a complaint.

It looks good and I wish they would deliver.

P.S., just received a USPS tracking number and the flash light should be here Monday.....
    Johnny

I miss America
    Sent from my keyboard using hunt-n-peck...
    SCIENTIA SIT POTENTIA
    Last edited by Pappy; 26th September 2013 at 18:15.

Posts liked by others

Not exactly what you asked, but maybe worth consideration

I've had a flashlight if some sort or another close to hand for about 30 years.

For the past few years, that light has been a Streamlight 'Stylus Pro'. It is shirt pocket friendly and has a couple-three hours run time As such, if I have my shirt on, an alternate light source is always available.

There is a well deserved place for the larger, more powerful lights. Facts are though, if 'it' (whatever 'it' is) isn't close to hand, it isn't likely to be accessable when needed.

Like flashlights, a 9X19 in the pocket can trump an 870 in the closet. Smaller isn't necessarily less.

salty
    Last edited by saltydog; 26th September 2013 at 18:07.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks Rich-D that makes sense to me.

Posts liked by others
    I have the Streamlight and the Fenix mentioned and both are great lights. I can't remember the model number right now but I just picked up a new Streamlight that is about the size of the Strion and has 630 lumins. Why have it, we live on an acreage and I always "light up" the 2 acre back yard when I take the dogs out after dark. Why, before "ligting up" the pups got to chase a skunk that did not enjoy the fun. I spent all night washing 6 really smelly dogs! Thanks for listening I'm over it now and it's funny.

Posts liked by others
    Having worked the night shift for many a year, I've been thru many a lights as well as others around me...and I wouldn't go with anything other than Surefire.

One can get the P2X Fury 500 lumen light, either the combat style with the thin waist, or the regular style with two bean settings for just over 100.00

I just got one, and have not found a situation where there's too much light.

As for a strobe, I find it just as incapacitating on either end of the light.

Or in more plain terms...its about as useless as a mule's shadow on a pile of tin cans.
    If it isn't durable, it isn't reliable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast