Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drop in trigger group

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Drop in trigger group

This is my first post on this site. I was looking for a better trigger pull for my Colt series 80 government model. I saw this on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/290918442551
    Has anyone had any experience with this?

Posts liked by others
    I would suggest that before you go out buying a new trigger group you take a look at this poor man's trigger job and maybe give it a try. Odds are, even with a new trigger group you may need to do the same. What do you have to lose other than some time.

Be safe
    Dave
    Maybe not the sharpest tack in the box......but not dull!

Posts liked by others
    No. Nor would I suggest that anyone replace high-quality Colt parts with those. Try this first: http://www.m1911.org/technic20.htm
    "Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." --Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Posts liked by others
    +1 to the above. If you absolutely must replace it, then spare no expense and get high quality tool steel parts such as the ones offered by Cylinder and Slide.
    In all honesty, you should be able to achieve the near same results with the factory Colt parts...they are very very far from being junk.
    Beauty is skin deep but ugly goes right to the bone.

Posts liked by others
    Considering that a cheap trigger from Brownells costs $25 to $30 by itself, there's no way this "kit" can be any good. And the seller doesn't even know how a 1911 works -- the adjusting screw in the trigger controls overtravel -- where the sear breaks is not adjustable.

Look elsewhere. Start by going to the Technical Issues section on our M1911.ORG Home Page site and look up an article entitled "Poor Man's Trigger Job."
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I emailed the guy about these parts. This is what he said: HI - Thanks for asking, I put these together myself from new parts I buy in bulk from several different USA vendors. No install instructions, but there is a lot of info online re. smithing 1911's. I'd say if you are not real comfortable taking on a project to pass on this one and check into getting a local smith to do a job on it, Thanks - Paul

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by man1911
    I emailed the guy about these parts. This is what he said: HI - Thanks for asking, I put these together myself from new parts I buy in bulk from several different USA vendors. No install instructions, but there is a lot of info online re. smithing 1911's. I'd say if you are not real comfortable taking on a project to pass on this one and check into getting a local smith to do a job on it, Thanks - Paul
    So he's bundling a bunch of cheap parts from various vendors, and claiming that they'll drop right in AND provide a 3-1/2-pound trigger? I'm sorry, but that ain't gonna happen. Why should I have any faith in the statements of a person who doesn't know what the over-travel adjustment screw is for?

If you really want a drop-in trigger package, go to Brownells and research their offerings. They offer a couple or three true, drop-in trigger kits that probably will deliver the results advertised. But ... they'll cost a bit more than $59.
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    All I'm really after is to get rid of the plastic trigger and get a lighter, crisper pull.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by man1911
    All I'm really after is to get rid of the plastic trigger and get a lighter, crisper pull.
    You can buy any of several triggers from Brownells, at a wide range of prices, to replace the plastic one in your pistol. Doing so will NOT make your trigger pull either lighter or crisper. That's a function of the hammer/sear interface.

As I suggested above, go to our home page site, look in the Technical Issues area, and study the article "Poor man's Trigger Job."
    Hawkmoon
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 17th August 2013 at 18:58.

Posts liked by others
    If you can get past the idea of replacing the trigger this might work:

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/trigger-group-parts/performance-enhancing-kits/series-80-trigger-pull-reduction-kit-prod5501.aspx?psize=96&avs|Manufacturer_1=CYLINDER & SLIDE

Otherwise you are looking at something more in the $200+ price range. There's always the Poor Man's Trigger Job.
    "Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." --Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast