Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You guys are making me nervous re: Taurus

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    I set up a table at the local gun show and put some of my excess stuff up for sale. The 45's (Norinco and Taurus) were picked up and handled more than a dozen times. 5 minutes before the show ended a guy offered me $550 for the Taurus. That's what I had in it, so I let it go. Now I just have the Norinco......I can only shoot one gun at a time, so it's going to be Chinese it seems.

I liked the Taurus, but I really prefer a gun where the company stands behind it's product....(like Rock Island). I know Norinco has no factory support, but it is so basic, I can manage any repairs on the basic 1911 ..... as long as "standard" parts fit.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by win308
    5 minutes before the show ended a guy offered me $550 for the Taurus. That's what I had in it, so I let it go. .
    You done good. I got half of that when I let mine go.
    Beauty is skin deep but ugly goes right to the bone.

Posts liked by others
    Mine has several thousand rounds through it. I stopped counting. I think it's in my signature or avatar, been so long since I've been here I forget...

They are a decent pistol. I paid $500 for mine. At $700+ I would pick a Springfield, just my 2 cents.

I love 1911s, my favorite pistol, but I don't carry one and I don't have one in any nightstand. I believe there are better defensive pistols out there (yes, most of them are plastic, oh well). Again, just my opinion.

Anyhow.

Parts broken - None

Malfunctions - Two failures to eject on the first day of shooting. After that it has been flawless. I've shot every kind of ammo I can find. I've found nothing it won't take. It feeds everything.

Mods - I do not like MIM parts so, Cylinder and Slide kit got rid of most of them (it had to be fit, didn't run out of the box), lightweight hammer strut, SS slide stop, Wolf Springs, SS pins, SS Safety Lever, SS bushing (hand fit), tool steel link and pin, still has the original extractor if I remember correctly. It's obviously no longer "stock", but the barrel, frame, and slide are still PT1911 I id not mod the pistol until about 1500 rounds or so. I wanted to make sure it was "a good one".

I'm keeping it...

Shoot the heck out of yours, you already have it.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke

Posts liked by others
    Most of the complaints about the PT-1911 and Taurus customer service are total . The first Taurus I bought was the PT-1911 and I have had it since they first came out and I think I have about 7 different Taurus pistols, the last time I counted. $480 for a forged frame 1911 with most of the custom touches already done is a heck of a deal. Looking around at my LGS, I don't see any used Taurus 1911s marked down like you see the Llama and ARMSCOR Filipino 1911s marked down. If you look over in the smithing section of this forum, you will see that Rule #1 of the 1911 is that there is no such thing as a drop-in part for a 1911. I question the fit of any 1911 part, even direct factory replacements and even grips. The 1911 is all about the fitting of parts, anyone who thinks they can assemble a 1911 without fitting doesn't know the 1911. With a little experience you will see which 1911 parts will be the easiest to fit to your particular 1911, when in doubt go oversize, at least it will guarantee that if can be fit. I remember a note that was carried on EGW's website that they had tested most of the frames and slides manufactured and that they had decided to make their parts oversized because there was just too much variation, not just between manufacturers, but even between models within the same lines.

Any smith that tells you he won't work on a Taurus 1911, has just told you he is not much of a 1911 smith, walk away quickly. JMHO

Posts liked by others
    Well said GreenWolf. My PT1911 runs like a clock and has over 3000 rounds down the pipe without a single malfunction.

Posts liked by others
    My PT1911 was real finicky about the ammunition it liked but once I found a factory load and hand load it liked, it shot great. I too replaced the MIM parts while I had mine.

Tom
    Vietnam Vet June 66 - Dec 67

Posts liked by others
    My PT-1911B feeds anything up to and including 200 grain LSWC rounds, and that is even with my old GI 1911 mags.

Posts liked by others
    As those in the know have said many times on this forum “there is no such thing as a drop-in part for a 1911”. You may get lucky but most of the time you will need to do some fitting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12