Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to me Remington R1

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

New to me Remington R1

I am getting some pics up for posterity's sake, as this pistol will look much different a few weeks from now.

I saw this R1 on GB with a starting bid of $500, no reserve and including shipping. And $500 and a day's wait later it was mine. There were a lot of detailed pics up and I'm still not sure why it went so cheap (IMO) and had no bids, but I do wish this pistol could talk.
    What I got was a pretty clean looking 2011 R1. Small idiot scratch, no [ screws with messed up slots] screws, pins look like they were never moved, shiny bore, new looking wood grips... And a well used OEM plastic case with the instructions and paperwork, very well used bushing wrench and one 8 round Kimber magazine. Weird.

I fired one full magazine using Speer 230 ball without a problem and one 7 rnd WC mag with the problem reported in the gunsmithing section. It fired very accurately, especially considering the trigger pull was a scratchy 7-1/2 oz.
    And after reading through six pages on the barrel feet/frame issue this morning (what was that again, vertical firing surface or something?) I saw where my pistol did not have that battering ram effect that the OP's pistol had in that thread. But I do see where the outer bottom edge of the barrel feet are contacting the frame's surface. They are shiny and there are small marks inside the frame. No big deal, since it is getting a new barrel anyway. I will deal with any problems then. Plus I don't see myself putting 10,000 rnds through the pistol when I'm done. I wonder if that was the cause of the incredible muzzle flip I was getting though...

Anyway, for 500 bucks I don't think I did too bad.

oops, coulda sworn I uploaded the pics to PB last night...
    I'll be back. I have to post this before the forum logs me off.

Posts liked by others
    Here it is. Your plain Jane R1

Posts liked by others
    Not to be nitpicky, but is your trigger pull really less than 1/2 a pound?
    Last edited by RangerWT; 3rd July 2013 at 13:28.

Posts liked by others
    oops!
    Not nitpicky at all. I'm always saying ounces when I mean lbs. What I need is a good reminder and maybe this is it.
    7.5 scratchy ounces... wouldn't that be interesting.

Posts liked by others
    Thought maybe it was a super stealthy race gun.

Posts liked by others
    There you go.
    It's like the $150 Mossberg some guy in a flannel shirt and work boots shows up with at the Tues night trap shoot and doesn't miss a bird with all night
    Last edited by PAcanis; 3rd July 2013 at 16:32.

Posts liked by others
    I just about finished upgrading the R1 today. It still needs a finish when I decide what I want for it.
    I stuck a 13# recoil spring in it and headed out back for a function test. Two shots and two 7 rnd mags ran flawlessly. All the brass was in about an 18" circle at about 4:00, 4' away. That was with an extended ejector bone stock.
    I didn't get to sight it in because I forgot the mount screws still needed cut flush on the inside of the frame, but that didn't stop me from taking some pics of it with the sight on.

Posts liked by others
    That doesn't even look like the same gun.

Posts liked by others
    It doesn't even look like a 1911 any more LOL. Oh well, to each his own...

Posts liked by others
    Wow, that's quite a transformation in a short time. It's been a couple of months since you finished it. Any range reports on how well it's working?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast