Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Something I didn't know, do you?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    I am a law enforcement officer in Indiana and have never heard of such a thing. I agree with the statements made by Walt and Hunter . I would never carry reloads with all the good quality factory ammo that is available for defensive use.

I would never saw anything to anyone who was carrying reloads, it's their choice.

Posts liked by others
    I too have heard that it's generally better to carry some form of factory ammo in your carry piece simply because of the potential complications that can arise over carrying your reloads. I have also heard/read that carrying hollow points is preferable to help prevent "shoot throughs" in the case of a crowded situation but hollow points may be objectionable in some places because of their destructive properties.

I guess a lawyer who wanted to could find issue with anything you do or any loads you use. Therefore I will try to take the advice of my CC instructor and back away from any and all situations whenever possible. He further advised to only "pull your piece" if you think the next thing that's going to happen is you're going to die...and then pull the trigger until either the threat goes away or you run out of bullets.
    John B
    What goes around comes around.

Posts liked by others
    I use factory ammo only for CC, currently Hornady, only because I'm confident that Hornady has invested far more time, money and accumulated knowledge developing the most effective defensive ammo than I ever could on my own.

I reload to minimize my cost of practice shooting.
    I am a good guy with a gun!

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom
    I was talking to a retired LEO at the range yesterday. He was carrying a 45 like me. So, we compared pistols. When I unloaded mine to let him look it over, he commented about the rounds I had. They were reloaded 230gr. lead RN. He said if a cop were to ask to see my carry permit and examine my pistol, he would not be happy with the lead bullets. Was advised to carry only jacketed bullets. Anyone else heard of this?
    Please note that the OP does not say that the LEO had a problem with the fact that the ammo was reloaded, but that the bullets were lead as opposed to jacketed. I called my friend who lives in Iowa and has a CCW. He said that to his knowledge Iowa has no restrictions whatsoever on the type of ammo one can carry for SD.
    "Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." --Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Posts liked by others

Posts liked by others
    Once again, the LEO mentioned in the original post found fault with the fact that the bullets were lead, NOT with the fact that the cartridges were reloads. Ayoob's article is about why we should not carry reloads.

Who has any citations addressing not using lead projectiles?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Sorry if I appear to have hijacked the thread. My intent was to point out the one important consideration in carry ammo choice of which I am aware. Yesterday's testimony in the Zimmerman case pointed out the need for ballistic techs to have available the exact ammo used in the incident for proximity analysis. Because in this case the discharged bullet was too damaged for comparison, no rounds needed to be expended for that purpose.

Back to the original post: the only bullet-related consideration of which I am aware is that of New Jersey's ban on hollowpoint ammunition. I that case, a lead bullet would be one of the "approved" options.

Is anyone aware of any other similar ammunition restrictions?

Regards,

Walt
    Author, The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide,
    The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide, NEW The 10/22 Complete Owner's and Assembly Guide,
    The M14
    and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
    and The AR-15 Complete Assembly and NEW Owner's Guides

Posts liked by others
    One question:

Could it be that the LEO's objection to the ammo featuring unjacketed bullets, in the opening post, was based on the LEO's assumption that all such ammo is reloaded (which, even though I know little about reloading, I DO know is not the case)?
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Im from ia as well and there is no restriction on ammo type or amount. That goes for having multiple weapons as well. Carry whatever you want. Your responsible for them.

Posts liked by others
    I'm a LEO and never heard of that Sounds like a mall cop or gun store cop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast