Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Mixing defensive ammo in the culture of "ammo scarcity"

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Mixing defensive ammo in the culture of "ammo scarcity"

There's never not a good time to buy a new (or new to you) 1911, but there are better times than others to buy ammo depending on where you shop.

Necessity forced me to carry with a mix of JHPs and FMJs for about two weeks until the payday after "new pistol day." I figured that if, having taken every necessary precaution, I was in a situation where I had to defend myself, the FMJs would finish whatever it was that the JHPs started.

Since then, I buy a box or two of JHPs every payday whether I shoot them or not, and save the ball ammo for the range. I also stay away from chain stores; too many vultures.

Anyone else ever had to do this? Any problems as a result? What is your preferred JHP, and what is your preferred FMJ for defensive applications?
    (r) E v o l u t i o n

Posts liked by others
    Well, I am of the school that believes that hardball is all you need in .45 ACP. I don't believe HP's are necessary in .45 and they increase your chances of a failure to feed. Anything below .45 and I shoot HP's. I like Federal ammo and Winchester.

Posts liked by others
    I load my own so my favorite JHP is the Hornady XTP. As for consumer ammo, Winchester White Box on the rare occasion I purchase store bought ammo.
    Beauty is skin deep but ugly goes right to the bone.

Posts liked by others
    Still run 230gr JHP rounds in my carry .45 Commander. For range use about anything else.
    NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others
    I alternate 230gr ball and JHP in my .45 autos, and do the same (lower bullet weight , of course) in my 9mm's and .380's.

That takes care of the "will I need expansion, or penetration" issues for me; best of both worlds.

Rick

Posts liked by others
    4.5 decades of nothing but ball 230 gr. ,tens of thousands down range. All I carry is 230 ball not a bad record,but not like the armed forces who used it and made the stopping power record for 2 world wars and countless lesser wars and L.E. usage for near 100 years. Ball is all I ever will need.

Posts liked by others
    I personally prefer to carry the same loadout, but you should be just fine until you can get a full load of JHP's.