Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: 45 lead bulge ?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

45 lead bulge ?

I recently picked up some 200gr RN for my 45. After loading 20 or so I noticed it had a bulge where the lead is in the brass. Now it fit in the bullet checker but not really sure about the bulge. Any help?

Thanks
    Rick

Posts liked by others
    Hello Rck: to the Forum!

Beautiful reload. Love that bulge! If I don't see one on my lead bullet reloads I know something is wrong. Yes, wrong!

Wrong because the bulge is a sign the seated bullet stretched out the case during seating. The stretch is the only thing that gives the case a good grip on the bullet. Without a good grip, the bullet can get pushed back into the case during feeding - and that's not good because if it gets pushed back too much because it can lead to jams, as shown here:

The bulge is a good thing. Don't do anything to get rid of it - such as use an undersize Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die. Anything you do the the round after the bullet is seated will reduce the case's grip on the bullet. Anything! Even the the seemingly innocuous act of deflaring the case mouth to get rid of any remaining flare and just barely snug the case mouth up against the bullet. Honest!!

Regards
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]
    Last edited by niemi24s; 8th June 2013 at 12:13.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the info. I feel much better!

Rick

Posts liked by others
    Thank you Niemi!
    The brass is resized to small and then the expander plug makes it the correct size. The bulge indicates that you case has a GOOD grip on the bullet, which is important, especially in an autoloader.

The LEE factory Crimp Die is a gimmick die IMHO.

A proper taper crimp die will only unflare the case. That's all you want to do.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"
    "It seems to me that I have forgotten more than I remember"
    Last edited by kenhwind; 23rd June 2013 at 16:38.

Posts liked by others
    Hello Rick and welcome to the forum. My reloads look like that as well.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks, Now I am trying my hand at Jacketed 230 RN with W231. Ever so slight bulge so I am going to try them at the range next. I don't wan to put to much of a crimp on it but just enough. I have seen some pictures that do not show any crimp but I would be afraid of the round moving on me.

Rick

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by rck
    I don't wan to put to much of a crimp on it but just enough. I have seen some pictures that do not show any crimp but I would be afraid of the round moving on me.
    Please don't be afraid. You, like many others, have the notion that crimping the case mouth into the bullet somehow gives the case a tighter grip on the bullet. This idea - while it does seem logical on the surface - is wrong. It actually reduces it! Yes, reduces it!! Honest!!!

• Maximum case grip on the bullet is attained at the completion of the bullet seating operation.

• Anything done to the case or case mouth after the bullet is seated will reduce the case's grip on the bullet. Anything at all. Including simply using a crimping die to knock down any remaining case mouth flare and snug the case mouth up against the bullet.

• The very maximum grip on a jacketed bullet will be attained when the inside edge of the case mouth is slightly chamfered, the case resized, the bullet carefully seated without using the neck expanding/case mouth flaring (beloling) die - and nothing else done to the case or case mouth. Nothing.

These, above, are the logical conclusions of many impact and feeding tests done on various types of handloads. These tests have all been reported in this forum, and here's a summary chart from one of them:

It's pretty difficult to absolutely prevent bullet movement. But to minimize it, do as little as possible to the case mouth after the bullet's seated. Find out for yourself by trying this: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...v-gq9tAlI/edit

Regards
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]