Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Taurus Horrer Story

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Thumbs down Taurus Horrer Story

Friends don't let friends buy Taurus. I bought a new PT-1911 from Buds Gun Shop last December. Took it to the 15 yard range and it shot 3 FEET low and 1 FOOT to the left. Two other people shot with the same results. I called Taurus where the Cust Serv. Rep asks me how I am holding the gun! I finally convince him the gun is off and he says he will send me a lower front sight. But it has to arrive on the next monthly shipment from Brazil. I wait 4 weeks, no sight. I decide to send the pistol back. It cost me $80 at UPS. Taurus has it for 10 weeks then says they will replace it. I receive, for a second transfer fee, a PT-1911 replacement from their "X" inventory that has tool marks and scratches all over the slide. I call Taurus where a Rep is indignant that I'm complaining about tool marks and scratches. After I get over the shock and take it too the range, it shoots three inches low at 7 YARDS. I call Taurus, they send me a lower front sight. I can't find a .5 mm Allen wrench anywhere so I sold the piece of junk at a substantial loss. I sold my PT-145 also. Never ever will I own another Taurus.

Posts liked by others

Welcome to the Forum!

Sorry you had so many problems with Taurus! Many haven't, however a common theme seems to be Customer Service when there is a problem.

Best of Luck!
    Rich
    Certified NRA Instructor Pistol & Shotgun
    ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    "There Is No Greater High Than Defeating Armed Felons" Rich-D

Posts liked by others

Quality Control

Thanks Rich! It seems Taurus is one of the few manufactures that do not test fire their guns before they are shipped. Their QC is virtually non-existent. Some guns shipped are just fine, but Taurus's percent of defectives is much higher than other manufacturer's. So the probability of getting a lemon is higher from Taurus than others.

I bought a Sig Scorpion and I love it!

Posts liked by others
    I used to think my Para fires low, but I ignored it. Sometimes it would be almost a foot off at 10 yards, so I was convinced that it had gotten a bit loose, over time. Then one day the wife (who likes shotguns but had no experience with handguns) followed me to the range. After three or four magazines, she AND the gun were firing POA=POI until we ran out of ammo. Her groups could by covered with a palm, too. It was five months ago, and some people at the range still tease me over it...

Maybe there is something really wrong with the guns you mention, but if this is your first 1911 pistol, don't underestimate how far off a shooter new to 1911s can go low and to the left. Here's why the Taurus rep asked how you're holding the gun:

I don't mean any disrespect, I'm just trying to save you some troubleshooting time. But to be blunt, if the gun was so misaligned as to be off by one foot to the left at 15 yards, the sights would have had to be visibly off center.

It doesn't take too long to get used to the gun—actually, the reason the second gun seemed to be off less than the first, is likely because of the number of rounds you've already put downrange.

Be safe.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Last edited by Spyros; 2nd May 2013 at 12:43.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie
    Thanks Rich! It seems Taurus is one of the few manufactures that do not test fire their guns before they are shipped. Their QC is virtually non-existent. Some guns shipped are just fine, but Taurus's percent of defectives is much higher than other manufacturer's. So the probability of getting a lemon is higher from Taurus than others.

I bought a Sig Scorpion and I love it!
    Sorry to hear that you experienced such a horror with your Taurus. Plenty of good reports about them as well. Plenty of negative reports about their customer service, also. Where do you get your information that they don't test fire before shipping? Where do you get your information that their QC is virtually non-existant? How do you know that Taurus percent of defectives is much higher than other manufacurers? I would like to see that published data.
    "Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." --Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Posts liked by others
    Only had one problem with my PT 1911, that was the two sided thumb safety. Used it as an opportunity to learn how to fit a new thumb safety. A lot cheaper and less trouble than doing the CS round and round.

Posts liked by others

Numerous Points

No, the sights don't have to be visibly off to shoot 3' low at 15 yards. The sights are fixed sights and thus have no windage or elevation adjustments. How would sights be "visibly" out of adjustment when shooting low? A more rational explanation is the slide or framed were machined out of tolerance? That fits with Taurus's determination to replace the gun as opposed to fixing it!

Secondly, Manufacturers typically do not publish their ratio of defective parts. But, as we know, back in the 80's you could get a particular GM auto to run 150,000 miles. That does not mean GM didn't have a high defective part ratio. Your chances of getting a Detroit made car that was a lemon was very much higher than getting a defective say Toyota.

As far as published data, I'll let you do your own research. Google "Taurus Quality Control" and it will take you 10 minutes to realize there is overwhelming negative information regarding their lack of quality control.

I know of two guns shops in my area that will not carry Taurus products. One owner says the shipping costs of sending brad new guns back to Taurus was putting a dent in his profits so now he won't sell them. I'll give you his number if you like! So how do you ship so many defective guns if you do not test fire them for function and point of aim? Are you telling me they test fired a gun that shot 3' low at 15 yards and shipped it anyhow?

I wish I would have done my homework before I bought a Taurus.

Posts liked by others
    You wrote:
    Took it to the 15 yard range and it shot 3 FEET low and 1 FOOT to the left.
    And I wrote:
    ...if the gun was so misaligned as to be off by one foot to the left at 15 yards, the sights would have had to be visibly off center.
    Be safe.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Following from the above, you might want to have a look at this:
    http://www.dawsonprecision.com/image...ightHeight.pdf

This is intended for height calculations, but the math applies equally for left-right discrepancies... so let's see: a 1911 has a 6.7" sight radius, and yours was 12 inches off to one side at 15 yards (i.e. 540")... so if it was the gun and not you, one of the sights MUST have been off (front to the right or rear to the left) by around 0.149".

I think that would have been noticeable.

Oh and take that to times three, to account for a height difference of three feet, you'd need a rear sight that's 0.446" taller than what was on the gun.

Sorry, but it simply can't have been the gun's fault. If there was only a height issue, some of it could have been explained by a too-long barrel link, but when you put low and to the left together, you have to look elsewhere.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Wow. Sorry to hear of your trouble. The experience I have had with their customer service has been good. Even when I confessed to them I had tried to fix one of their revolvers and messed the hand up. They sent me a new hand free.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast