Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Practice drawing?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Practice drawing?

Just returned from the "range" (a nice piece of desert north of Phoenix) Shot 3 Kimbers, a full size, a CDP ll and an Ultra Carry ll (9mm). Put a card board box on a stump and taped a piece of typing paper to it. Shot from 7 ft. to 18 ft., one or two shots, all from holster draw, trying to simulate a self defense situation. I did not use the sights except from my peripheral vision somewhere below my line of site which was focused on the target. Shot mostly one handed except a few times with two hands at the longer distances. Probably 95% of the rounds were on the typing paper (I was very surprised and pleased) None of the rounds missed the box which was only perhaps 3 inches larger than the paper on all sides. One thing I learned is that raising the pistol closer to eye level, still without using the sights, increases accuracy. Also, it pays to practice the draw, which I've been doing. From draw to first found is about one second. The full size is not as quick from the holster as the other two. I use a DeSantis and the five inches of barrel/slide is not as quick as the 4 inch or the 3 inch; but then I don't view the full size as a carry gun much anyway, unless I carry it in the El Paso Saddlery shoulder rig I have for it.

I also did the same drill with my S&W Chief's Special and my LCP with virtually the same result except I limited the distance to 7-10 feet and fired them both double action, which as you know is the the only option with the LCP.

The real reason I'm posting is to brag (just a little) and to ask how many of you have done similar drills and how were your results, what did you learn? I'm guessing 98% of CCW holders never do this sort of thing.

By the way: I picked up all my brass, my box, paper, etc and took it home to dispose of properly, which a lot of users of this spot DON'T! SHAME on them!
    Last edited by 390beretta; 18th April 2013 at 18:44.

Posts liked by others
    Good work! I've had a little experience shooting from the draw, i was quicker with my SR9C than i am with my full size RIA, but... yeah, that's about right. Draw and shoot in about about a second. I also agree on not using the sights too much. Just keep the muzzle pointed at the target.

I took a "Phase II" training class that some of my local CCW teachers provide. Being i was the only one not there for the Basic pistol safety course, i carried on my hip into the training room and all day. around lunch, the trainer came and grabbed me for the shooting portion of my class (i just sat in on the CCW class until they could verify i knew basic pistol safety along with the CCW class). then we did everything we could think of, drawing, partial mag changes, weak hand draw (behind the back). Found out i'm no stuck if my left hand gets gone (yes i'm a south paw). But i found something to work on! Keep challenging yourself, find what's your draw back and practice it. Good on you though for being comforable with your equipment! Keep it up!
    Rock island Tactical II Fs
    Ruger sr9c

A sidearm is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Posts liked by others
    We do shoot from iwb holster concealed. Conditon 1. Strong side and appendix carry. If on an ipsc range then drawing from condition two iwb concealed. Still its front sight surprise break for me. Targets from 4, 7, 10 & 15meters. The most 20.
    The 1911 is an aficionado's weapon, and has a place in the modern arsenal for those who are dedicated to it. With proper setup and maintenance, the 1911 can serve you well. -Hilton Yam

Posts liked by others
    They don't let you draw and shoot at the indoor range I use most of the time. My solution was to by one of the Laser training rounds for my pistol. This slips into the chamber and paints a laser dot on a target when you pull the trigger. It's not as good as live-fire practice, but it lets you work on the mechanics. With the cost of ammunition, it's about all I can afford anymore!
    George

Posts liked by others
    For me it's Jeff Cooper's "modern technique." Always keeping in mind what Mas Ayoob calls "the epiphany of the front sight."
    "Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." --Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by 390beretta
    Just returned from the "range" (a nice piece of desert north of Phoenix) Shot 3 Kimbers, a full size, a CDP ll and an Ultra Carry ll (9mm). Put a card board box on a stump and taped a piece of typing paper to it. Shot from 7 ft. to 18 ft., one or two shots, all from holster draw, trying to simulate a self defense situation. I did not use the sights except from my peripheral vision somewhere below my line of site which was focused on the target. Shot mostly one handed except a few times with two hands at the longer distances. Probably 95% of the rounds were on the typing paper (I was very surprised and pleased) None of the rounds missed the box which was only perhaps 3 inches larger than the paper on all sides. One thing I learned is that raising the pistol closer to eye level, still without using the sights, increases accuracy. Also, it pays to practice the draw, which I've been doing. From draw to first found is about one second. The full size is not as quick from the holster as the other two. I use a DeSantis and the five inches of barrel/slide is not as quick as the 4 inch or the 3 inch; but then I don't view the full size as a carry gun much anyway, unless I carry it in the El Paso Saddlery shoulder rig I have for it.

I also did the same drill with my S&W Chief's Special and my LCP with virtually the same result except I limited the distance to 7-10 feet and fired them both double action, which as you know is the the only option with the LCP.

The real reason I'm posting is to brag (just a little) and to ask how many of you have done similar drills and how were your results, what did you learn? I'm guessing 98% of CCW holders never do this sort of thing.

By the way: I picked up all my brass, my box, paper, etc and took it home to dispose of properly, which a lot of users of this spot DON'T! SHAME on them!
    We exercise "draw and shoot" using a "flash sight picture" frequently.

What may be of interest in this discussion is "shooting from retention;" which is practiced every week during our local club's IDPA practices.

Shooting from retention is basically a draw, then holding the wrist/forearm against the strong side, while indexing the pistol from waist level strong hand only (as opposed to two handed shooting from retention; where the weak hand comes across for additional pistol stabilization), and engaging the target from waist level.

It obviously allows for very fast shots on target, and from two to five yards works well for accurate fire in a very short time frame.

To me, it seems to fit well as a response for many potential "up close and personal" encounters, so I use the technique often in close range scenarios where "free style" shooting (normally two handed) is the norm.

It is an intuitive shooting style that allows for more accuracy (with practice) than one would think; and is also a lot of fun.

Give it a try, and I'll bet you like it, too.

Rick
    Last edited by Rick McC.; 13th October 2013 at 21:31.

Posts liked by others
    Back in the day, this was part of our POST quals, strongly influenced by Bill Jordan's style of shooting.

If you really want to train more using point shooting technique under stress, search out rattlers; keep in mind they usually don't rattle before striking.
    NRA Life Member since '67

"Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake."
    Napoleon

Posts liked by others
    I did a first, for me, last month at about 10:30 one evening. Out with the dog and as we walking back home, he alerted to a rattler in grass. It had about 7-8 buttons and the black bands were not visible. About 10" away there was a 3" gap in the tall grass and the dog went to a safe distance. With a penlight in left hand I double tapped the slithering pit viper. This was the first time I had shot a rattler in the dark, and it gets very dark here.

Didn't see any reason to follow and find the rattler. Next morning I found a small, dead field mouse that had been hit twice by a 10mm. About 10' away was the blood trail, the rattler had been wounded bad enough to lose its prey.

Living here near several wilderness areas allows us to see different types of wildlife. A couple of weeks ago was a large pile of bear scat along the circle drive, then bobcat and coyote scat. It's simply a numbers game because there are thousands of times we go in/out the front door. Dogs are predator magnets that increase the chances being in an encounter, more so during night time.

For a number of years I was happy carrying carrying the .38 Super and it was needed more often than I had anticipated. The Super offers hammer of Thor terminal performance against thin skinned predators, but with black bear and large hawg signs, I had Fusion build me a Commander sized 1911 10mm with a light rail.
    NRA Life Member since '67

"Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake."
    Napoleon