Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loading an XTP?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson
    For business ammo, I'd pass on the fast burning WST and dig out the Unique.

I am not trying to be dense- but why is Unique a better choice?
    NRA Life Member
    C&RFFL holder

Posts liked by others
    Unique is quite a bit slower burning than WST. WST appears up around 18 or so on the burn charts; Unique at about 30 or so. With a faster powder, you reach maxium pressure with less powder, but that pressure dissapates quicker while the bullet travels though the barrel. With the slower burning powder you can use more powder and it does not reach it's peak pressure as quickly; it continues to rise in presure and holds an average higher pressure while the bullet travels down the barrel. From a physics standpoint, the higher average pressure working on the base of the bullet while it travels down the barrel, is what gives you a higher exit velocity ... and with self defense loads you want the higher velocity for higher bullet energy. So if you have WST and Unique, go with Unique.
    Last edited by KeithN; 17th April 2013 at 17:20.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks Keith. I didn't know there was that much difference in the burn rates with pistol/shotgun powders.

I have shot loads with WST and Unique and can feel the difference. Recoil with WST feels snappier, while recoil with Unique feels more like a firm shove.

I bought a Pact timer/chrono, and hopefully it will be here by the weekend. I need skyscreens but I feel the need to work up some Unique loads and compare against my WST loads.
    I have been loading the same load for match shooting and haven't thought about defense or other loads for a long time.
    NRA Life Member
    C&RFFL holder

Posts liked by others
    I'd recommend just sticking to factory loads for carry/self defense. Not terribly expensive if you don't use many.

Posts liked by others
    I also use wst and just got 700 of these xtp bullets free when I bought another press. What did you end up using? Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12