Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Military Hopeful

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Military Hopeful

So, I'm looking to get into the military. I'm using a modified airsoft 1911 for training exercises. Fps is only 230, but I'm using it for close quarters training. It's spring powered. Can anyone tell me if this is an effective training setup? I'll provide more details per requests, as I'm not sure what's needed.

Posts liked by others
    UPDATE: much better setup! My dad let me use his co2, blowback bb 1911.

Posts liked by others
    Effective training for what? The military in Iraq and Afghanistan does engage in some house-clearing missions, but the bulk of what we are doing in those countries does not involve close-quarters combat.

What are you practicing? I think getting your hands on a .22 caliber rifle and learning marksmanship would be better preparation that airsoft.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    My advice is to spend much of your time training for the physical demands of military service. Push-ups, sit-ups, and lots of running. Proficiency with a .22 rifle is a good place to start. Try to find a qualified instructor in your area.
    "Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." --Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Posts liked by others
    You're getting good advice. If you live close to neighbors and you want to practice in your back yard, an air-rifle can be a really helpful substitute to a .22LR. I know that if I can hit the side of a barn on occasion, it's thanks almost exclusively to a .177 Diana/RWS air-rifle a friend of my father's gave me as soon as I was old enough to cock that barrel.

For a while, I was going through two 200-pellet tins a month! The trick was having a target that didn't need resetting (the lid of a large tin can, held by some wire at about 50 yards, on the side of a fence). Coke cans look much more impressive, but walking there and back to reset/replace them got old real quick...
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Last edited by Spyros; 7th April 2013 at 16:57.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
    My advice is to spend much of your time training for the physical demands of military service. Push-ups, sit-ups, and lots of running.
    QFT! (Quoted for truth.)

I enlisted in the Army when I graduated from college. I was an athlete in college. I played varsity soccer, intramural basketball, and varsity track. When I got to basic training, I was in BIG trouble. I wasn't nearly in good enough condition. If I had known then what I know now, I would have spent that summer doing almost nothing other than long distance runs, and strength training (especially upper body).
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    It is good you are looking forward to entering military service, however, I suggest you not be overly concern with your ability to shoot a weapon. As has been recommended by 11 Bravo and Hawkmoon, you should be working on upper-body strength and distance running for endurance; not necessarily speed. All of the military branches require a lot of running and upper-body strength during basic training. Marines and Army will be more demanding in these areas vice the Navy or Air Force and you will be required to maintain an established level of fitness during your entire enlistment. ....If your assignment requires the use of a weapon, you will get the required training for you to become proficient. ....Best of luck to you.

Be safe
    Dave
    Maybe not the sharpest tack in the box......but not dull!

Posts liked by others
    Yes, I am doing physical exercise, and practicing marksmanship. I just figured because this was a airsoft for training forum, that was the part I should focus on.
    I am using a .177 pellet rifle for accuracy training, at a distance of about 20 yards. Yes, I know this is way short of actual distances, but I also have horrid accuracy.
    As farad physical fittness, I am going on 2 mile runs and doing push-ups.
    Last edited by AHCampbell; 7th April 2013 at 22:03.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by AHCampbell
    Yes, I am doing physical exercise, and practicing marksmanship. I just figured because this was a airsoft for training forum, that was the part I should focus on.
    But what are you training for with the airsoft, and how will it in any way translate to what the military may have you doing?

Be careful that you don't engage in a lot of training that will teach you bad habits that the drill instructors will then have to dislodge from your brain before they can begin to teach you the Army or the Marine Corps way.

I am using a .177 pellet rifle for accuracy training, at a distance of about 20 yards. Yes, I know this is way short of actual distances, but I also have horrid accuracy.
    Accuracy is accuracy. A 1-inch group at 100 yards is the same as a 3-inch group at 300 yards, or a 1/4-inch group at 25 yards. That said -- if your pellet rifle doesn't have a rifled barrel, don't expect much accuracy out of it even at 20 yards.

As farad physical fittness, I am going on 2 mile runs and doing push-ups.
    I'd suggest also doing pull-ups, and lifting free weights. Try to get your runs up to five miles, then work on increasing speed.
    Hawkmoon
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 7th April 2013 at 23:02.