Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: handgun sale to someone under 21

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

handgun sale to someone under 21

A young man I know wants to purchase a handgun from me, He is NOT 21 years old yet. He told Me its legal for him to posess here in Washington state if it is kept on "real" property in his house. My common sense tells me to forget about selling to him.

I cant find exactly what he stated in the RCW regarding "real property".
    I dated his mother about ten years ago but I have no idea if he's kept his nose clean all this time. He claims he was robbed awhile ago and needs a handgun, hate to go Joe biden on him but if thats the case maybe he should just own a shotgun till he is of age.

Thanks in advance for comments.

Posts liked by others
    Gracefully pass. It sounds real hinky to me, not to mention illegal in the US.

Regards,

Walt
    Author, The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide,
    The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide, NEW The 10/22 Complete Owner's and Assembly Guide,
    The M14
    and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
    and The AR-15 Complete Assembly and NEW Owner's Guides

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by wjkuleck
    Gracefully pass. It sounds real hinky to me, not to mention illegal in the US.

Regards,

Walt
    Really? Since when?
    It may be illegal in your state, but it is absolutely legal in Florida.
    18-20 year old individuals may not purchase from an FFL, but they
    can purchase from a private individual.
    My advice would be to check your state laws and proceed from there.

Posts liked by others
    Washington State Law per NRA Website

POSSESSION
    There are no state licensing requirements for the possession of rifles, shotguns or handguns.

It is unlawful to own, possess or have in control any firearm by:
    •a person convicted, or as a juvenile adjudicated, of a felony, serious offense, domestic violence offense if committed after July 1, 1993 (those being: assault in 4th degree, coercion, stalking, reckless endangerment, criminal trespass in 1st degree, violating a protective order and/or violating a restraining order),
    •who is free on bond or personal recognizance pending trial, appeal or sentence for a serious offense, acquitted of a crime by reason of insanity, or who has ever been committed by a court due to mental illness, or
    if the individual is under the age of 18.

Source: http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state...ashington.aspx

However, I personally would not sell him a gun without the mother's consent, if he is living with her. The mother may have valid reason why her son should not own a handgun! Furthermore, where was he robbed?
    Washington State requires a person to be 21 to apply for a carry permit, look up RCW 9.41.070
    Certified NRA Instructor Pistol & Shotgun
    ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    "There Is No Greater High Than Defeating Armed Felons" Rich-D

Posts liked by others
    Let his mother handle it, too many risks

Posts liked by others
    Go with your gut and pass. A shotgun is a better choice for home defense anyway.
    Beauty is skin deep but ugly goes right to the bone.

Posts liked by others
    Well, my daughter is a DA and she said that, even if it does not violate any possession laws, in today's environment it probably is not the wisest idea. If the kid should accidentally (or deliberately) shoot someone or commit a felony with the pistol, the seller's life could be made pretty miserable even if he is cleared of any guilt. She also said that many cops and judges simply do not know their state's gun laws, so he could be arrested and it later be discovered that he broke no laws. No fun.
    Last edited by Gobus1; 1st April 2013 at 05:37.

Posts liked by others
    Sounds like a migraine that could last the rest of your life.
    NRA Life Member since '67

"Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake."
    Napoleon

Posts liked by others
    Thanks everyone, All very good advice and information. When i met this young man he was a child going to day care, After spending a handful of years together with his mother we went our separate ways, and then I got married to My current wife. I did some work for the boys Grandmother several years later and at that time he expressed an interest in handguns since he knew from years past lessons regarding safety around firearms.

I dont know if the story of him being robbed or not is true , but since I haven't had much contact with him over the years I would say I know him less than anyone here on the M1911 forums. I also doubt his ability to pay in full the money that I would want for any one of the handguns i own. But it's a moot point now since there will be no sale to him. I agree that under this current political climate I don't need a lawsuit or any other scrutiny, I have too much too lose, My property and My rights. The law isn't always clearcut no matter who interrupts it especially when it goes to court. Ill will tell him I have been advised not sell.
    Thanks!!

Posts liked by others
    Best to be safe, than sorry!
    Certified NRA Instructor Pistol & Shotgun
    ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    "There Is No Greater High Than Defeating Armed Felons" Rich-D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast