Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: 211 Range Report

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

211 Range Report

Well I got my 'Commander' back from The Gunsmith (Nelson Ford).

Had him install a Cylinder & Slide Hammer set (4.5 # pull), a Wilson high ride beavertail, and do a reliability package to it. While it was there I had a standard GI guide rod and plug installed too. They must have thought the factory one was a real neat idea, but I found it to be a pain to field strip.

Gun feeds everything I tried. Seemed pretty accurate. Had an issue with the ejection side of things though. I got hit on the head with a few brass. Definitely needs a little more tuning. The trigger really bites it. It is way too short for my hands, so it will need to get changed out.

I did make sure that he did not alter anything that would prevent it from going back to factory stock (I have all the original parts)

Now that I got it working and shooting reliably I will probably sell/trade it for another project. It seems I get more joy out of buying, and cleaning up, and having a little work done than actually shooting them. The gun was pretty dirty and needed a little work when I got, so I spent the better part of a week really cleaning every little nook and cranny, and re-polishing the flats, to where the gun almost looked new and then dropping it off at Nelson's for the work. He had it for about 60 days.

So I am off looking for my next project.

original gun when I received it. looks a lot better than it really was. The extractor wouldn't even hold a round in the breech

Here is how it looked before gong to The Gunsmith (with some Colt factory grips and cleaned up)

and here is how it looks today (I think these are some Hogue grips on it now)
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
    Jesus Christ and the American GI.
    One died for your soul; the other for your freedom..
    Last edited by rjinaz85308; 30th March 2013 at 12:21.

Posts liked by others
    Interesting project, can you post a few photos?

Posts liked by others
    Looks like the frame tangs were ground to fit the .250 radius Wilson grip safety - can't put that metal back.

Funnel

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by funnelcake
    Looks like the frame tangs were ground to fit the .250 radius Wilson grip safety - can't put that metal back.
    That looks like a .250" radius Ed Brown grip safety, but otherwise I agree. Also, I'm curious what the grip safety looks like when fully depressed. This safety usually requires the frame's back-strap radius to be raised a bit.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyros
    That looks like a .250" radius Ed Brown grip safety, but otherwise I agree. Also, I'm curious what the grip safety looks like when fully depressed. This safety usually requires the frame's back-strap radius to be raised a bit.
    The backstrap was raised to perfectly match the grip safety when depressed, which I had asked him not to. But as has already been said, you can't put metal back on, so it is what it is. He did such a nice job matching the finishes that at first I didn't notice it until i looked at the stock grip safety for comparison

But since I didn't buy it for it's collectibility, I bought it to carry and shoot it doesn't make that much difference to me. But I wish he would have asked me first.
    Last edited by rjinaz85308; 4th April 2013 at 00:07.

Posts liked by others
    To be fair to your 'smith, it really wouldn't have been such a good idea to leave the backstrap unmodified AND install a raised grip safety (i.e. Brown, STI or CMC)... it would have meant that the safety would disappear in the frame, thus allowing the (usually quite sharp) sides of the frame to dig into your hand under recoil. Ouch...
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Last edited by Spyros; 4th April 2013 at 03:00.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyros
    To be fair to your 'smith, it really wouldn't have been such a good idea to leave the backstrap unmodified AND install a raised grip safety (i.e. Brown, STI or CMC)... it would have meant that the safety would disappear in the frame, thus allowing the (usually quite sharp) sides of the frame to dig into your hand under recoil. Ouch...
    I agree with you 100%. What I was meaning was I wish he would have told me that was the case and offered a different solution to to grip safety, like maybe done a little fitting with a drop in that would have looked nice but still been functional