Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: external extractor

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by LouF View Post
    My new S&W E series is 50% easier to strip and clean as compared to my 80 series Colt.
    I have no experience with S&W 1911s... but in my limited experience, the slides on series 80 Colts are just as fast or faster to strip and put together, compared to 1911s without the safety parts, thanks to the ability the trap the firing pin forward... but maybe that's just me.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyros View Post
    I have no experience with S&W 1911s... but in my limited experience, the slides on series 80 Colts are just as fast or faster to strip and put together, compared to 1911s without the safety parts, thanks to the ability the trap the firing pin forward... but maybe that's just me.
    When I do my Colt I take everything out of the slide.The little plunger and spring for the firing pin safety is the worst to remove.I use tweezers and put them in a small separate container to clean and lube.Once I dropped the little spring and spent a half hour with a magnet searching every nook in my garage an luckily found it.Removing the extractor and firing pin/spring and cleaning those holes with a Q tip is no big deal.My S&W has only the firing pin/spring to remove and that one hole to clean easy peasy!

Posts liked by others
    You shouldn't need tweezers to remove the plunger and spring. After removing the firing pin and spring (by pressing the plunger, to launch them), simply hold the slide about half an inch above your table, then move the extractor back and forth, slowly. The plunger will fall out, hopefully with the spring in tow. If the spring is being difficult, push the extractor back so a couple of thumbnail thickness' worth is showing in the back of the slide, then smack the slide downwards (gently), on the table, or your hand. That ought to do it.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Everyone has their way I guess.I like the surgical method to the tilt and smack method.

Posts liked by others
    Extractors and their channels benefit from frequent, complete cleaning. When they can easily be removed from the rear of the slide, as in Glocks, there is no issue. When a roll pin must be driven out and then re-installed, I tend to wonder if the designers understand 1911's on the basis of direct experience shooting a few thousand rounds. I sold an otherwise ok SW 1911 because of the pinned extractor. I am keeping a Sig C3 because the gun is worth the effort.

Posts liked by others
    The external extractor and the way the bobtail felt in my hand are the main reasons I bought the pistol. The original design is fine if the extractor material is of good quality. I've had some 1911's that needed tweaked all the time. Also I never liked the idea of bending (AKA inducing stress ) a piece of spring steel. I've had about 750 through my 1911sc and no extraction or ejection problems

Posts liked by others
    i kind of trust S&W to know what there doing with extractors. Its not like there new at it. I approve of the improvements they made in the E series.. Not that its a huge change or totally new to 1911`s, i like the external extractor. I doubt cleaning will be of huge issue either. can probably use spray and compressed air and never have to remove it anyway. that said ive had several other 1911`s with internal extractors and never had a issue with them. Never really had any issue with a 1911 in any respect, and ive logged over 30k rounds threw one of them. never even removed the extractor for cleaning, sprayed it out and blew air threw it, yep that was all.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234