Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Regarding the "NCIC And Gun Loss Reporting " sticky thread

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Regarding the "NCIC And Gun Loss Reporting " sticky thread

You can verify that your stolen firearm is entered into NCIC. You need to do two things: Make sure that the responding officer is going to enter the firearm into NCIC, and ask him for two things: The first is the OCA or case number for the report. The officer should be able to provide this to you before he leaves from taking your report. The second thing you'll need is the NIC number. This is a number assigned to all NCIC stolen articles entries. For firearms, the number should begin with a "G" and be followed by all numericals. The responding officer probably will not be able to give this to you right away, but he should be able to give it to you before he goes home from the end of his shift. Ask the responding officer to refer to the NIC number in the narrative of his incident report. Record these numbers. Obtain a copy of the incident report from the records division of the law enforcement agency taking your stolen firearm report. If you can't get the NIC number, start asking for supervisors, nicely, until one confirms that your firearm is entered and provides you with a NIC number.

Also, regarding Saltydog's last post in that thread, I am reasonably certain that any law enforcement agency would be happy to conduct an NCIC search of the firearm's serial number prior to your purchase, if you call and explain the situation. Beware of differing state law regarding the purchase and sale of firearms. I know that where I live, pawn shops and gun shops are not required to check serial numbers prior to purchase, and I know of several transactions where citizens bought firearms in good faith from pawn shops/gunshops, but the firearms were stolen and listed in NCIC as stolen. Always a good idea to check with local law enforcement to see if they will run the serial number of a gun you are planning to purchase.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by SCLEO; 14th February 2013 at 17:37. Reason: Additional info