Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Taurus 1911 Jamming

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

New Taurus 1911 Jamming

I had just bought the gun Sunday at the Fayetteville Gun Show. Brought it home took it apart and cleaned it. I filled up the 2 mags with Remington UMC green box and started shooting. I probably shot 45 rounds with out a problem. Then it started not ejecting. I cleared the jams and started using GI mags that I had. It jammed on them also. I got on the computer and found out about the extractor problems this gun is plagued with. I took out the extractor and there it was. Right in the middle of the extractor was a nick or gouged out place. I said alright I will try some steel cased Wolf ammo. The Wolf shot every time with no problem. I put in some brass cased ammo and it shot one time and jammed. Is it that the steel cases don't expand as much as the brass cases? I ordered a Wilson Heavy Duty extractor in series 80. Maybe this will cure this Brazilian 1911!! I have had Colt, Glock and even a Norinko 45's without any problems. But this is a brand new gun. Maybe these should be classified as a Saturday Night Special and be sold for $50 instead of $600. Brand New piece of junk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts liked by others
    Call up Taurus to get a tag to have it shipped back to Taurus. It will take some time to get to your gun but it will be fixed. They will put a new extractor in it for you and it will be at no charge. We had 3 that had bad extractors at the shop and we test fired them with 438 rounds of ball and hp ammo.

Posts liked by others
    Thank you for your reply. I will call them tomorrow.

Posts liked by others
    Call Taurus and see if they will send you a new extractor. May save you some time. Same things happen on other 1911s also. I have seen where extractors from other vendors had issues in a Taurus like the series 80 firing pin block plunger falling out.

Posts liked by others
    I called Taurus and they said that the extractor was a prohibited part and they couldn't send me one. I could send the pistol in and they would fix it or I could have a gunshop in my area to fix it. I told them that I would get a gunshop around here to fix it. I've already spent $47 for parts from Brownell's. So if the new parts don't work then I will send it to Taurus.

Posts liked by others
    "A prohibited part"? Did they explain that any further?

Could it mean that they'd rather do the work themselves, to see that it is fitted properly?
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Generally the new extractors, in gun or out, need to be modified somewhat to make them work well. Ask your gunsmith how he does it.

I did mine when I got the gun, along with some other stuff, and have had no problem with it whatsoever.

Posts liked by others
    I received my new extractor from Brownell's yesterday and put it in last night. I haven't shot it to see if it works OK. I will check it out today or tomorrow and post the outcome. Thanks...

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by thetodd
    I called Taurus and they said that the extractor was a prohibited part and they couldn't send me one. I could send the pistol in and they would fix it or I could have a gunshop in my area to fix it. I told them that I would get a gunshop around here to fix it. I've already spent $47 for parts from Brownell's. So if the new parts don't work then I will send it to Taurus.
    Your local shop can't fix it ... unless Taurus will send him the part.

A couple of months back, the owner of the range where I shoot called and asked me if I had any series 80 extractors. I did. He said he had a Taurus 1911 in the shop with a broken extractor, so I told him I'd bring the extractor and fix it on my next visit.

I did so, and everything looked good to go. A week later he said the first time he took the pistol down to the range to test it, after a couple of shots the firing pin safety plunger dropped down and hung up the slide. That should be impossible. But I remembered that I had a lot of trouble with the Taurus extractor, because it didn't want to release the firing pin safety plunger the way a normal extractor would.

Turns out Taurus does NOT use a standard 1911 (Series 80) extractor. It's proprietary, and if you replace it with a standard 1911 (Series 80) extractor -- it won't work.

As we proved conclusively.

Send the gun to Taurus and have them fix it.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 8th February 2013 at 12:14.

Posts liked by others
    A Series 70 or 80 will work if you throw all the series 80 type safety junk in the trash.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast