Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some technique help.

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Need some technique help.

Recently purchased a Tisas 1911 .45 from buds gun shop.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...+5%22+GI+BLACK

No complaints whatsoever with the gun, but I am now getting down to the business of focusing on accuracy now that I am confortable with it and have shot about 450 rounds.

My problem is I seem to be hitting consistently high of my aimpoint. After 50 rounds tonight at 7 meters I realized every shot was high of my aimpoint and that I was subconsciously making adjustments without really focusing on one constant aimpoint.

Moving out to 10 meters I placed an aimpoint sticker about 6 inches low and that seemed to bring my shots down into center better. I'd provide pictures but I seem lack the permissions to post attachments.

Shooting on a full-size sillouette target (Navy marksman target), and am pretty much center of mass side-to-side but consistently high up on the sternum. I'm enough of a novice to know it is something I'm doing wrong with my breathing or squeeze, rather than the gun or sights.

By the way, I am left handed and shooting one-handed rather than two hand supported because when shooting two-handed my shots were pulling to the right and single hand seems more accurate / comfortable for me right now.

Usine PMC Bronze FMJ 230 grain ball ammo if that matters. Appreciate any insight on what I need to adjust...

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by a-6intruder
    I'd provide pictures but I seem lack the permissions to post attachments.
    Nobody can post attachments on this site. That's not how we do it. How to post pictures is explained in the FAQ area.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    a-6, it might be you or it might be your sights. A question. Are the shots tightly grouped together or scattered out a bit? By your description it would sound like they are all close together, but higher than you thought.

Which of these three best describes your sight picture when you aim?

Do you have any vision issues? Bi-focals, etc. Your particular pistol has the small "bump" GI style front sight. Those are very difficult to see and if you are raising the sight to see it, that might explain the high shots.
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)

Posts liked by others
    I would say image 2 is my sight picture, and my grouping is relatively consistent and consistently high. The front sight is difficult to pick up and I have painted it for some more definition, although it tends to get obscured with soot after a few rounds, so I suspect I am hunting for it a bit more than I should.

Near vision is a bit of a struggle (age and those darn computers) but far vision is still 20/20. Will try bench firing to take as much of me out of the equation as possible.

Appreciate the help!

Posts liked by others
    Okay, glad I could help. The reason I asked on the sight picture is because of differences from one manufacturer to the next.

Most folks use #2, just as you do. That is the most common. Some guns, especially those intended for bullseye target shooting are regulated for #1, commonly called the 6 o'clock hold. Heckler & Koch goes the complete opposite direction and most of their guns are set for #3.

Good luck sorting it out.
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)

Posts liked by others
    Let a buddy shoot your pistol first. If the results are the same, then perhaps the front sight is too short....Just a thought....
    Beauty is skin deep but ugly goes right to the bone.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for that. I shot again last night with a more disciplined approach to troubleshooting. What I think is happening is I am losing my front sight due to my near vision being less than it used to be, and I am subconsciously lifting the nose of the gun up to pick up the front sight visually, giving me a false sight picture. Bench test firing at 10 meters was giving me a 5 shot grouping pretty much on center and with about a 3 inch diameter. Started to figure it out and my shots started working their way lower on the target.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by a-6intruder
    What I think is happening is I am losing my front sight due to my near vision being less than it used to be, and I am subconsciously lifting the nose of the gun up to pick up the front sight visually, giving me a false sight picture.
    Welcome to the old guys club!

I wear progressive lenses and it takes me a trip or two at the range with new sights to find the sweet spot where my eyes see the "real" thing.

Posts liked by others
    If your sight picture is correct, anticipating recoil or breaking wrist upwards when squeezing the trigger will cause a high point of impact!

Squeezing the trigger slowly not knowing when the hammer will release instead of pulling the trigger in one motion, can resolve both of the above issues.
    Certified NRA Instructor Pistol & Shotgun
    ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    "There Is No Greater High Than Defeating Armed Felons" Rich-D

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for all recommendations. I'll hopefully get a chance to do some more practice in the next couple of days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast