Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Heinie Signature Competition 5" NEW

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Heinie Signature Competition 5" NEW

Picking up new Heinie Competition 5" I have on layaway this week and wanted to know if anyone knows of any issues good or bad before I pick it up.
    I've been wanting to get a custom 1911 for some time and they had all 3 Nighthawk, Wilson Combat and Ed Brown in stock. I want it mostly for the range and not personal defense. Not to say I wont put in defense ammo just not for conceal carry.
    Also want to know what would be great ammo.
    Thanks

New to Forum and look forward in being a member

Posts liked by others
    I dont have the exact model in question, but i do have 2 grps I have had no functional issues with either of mine. The only issues i had were cometic regarding finish wear on first gun, and adead front tritium sight on 2nd gun. Nighthawk promptly resolved each issue by emailing me a shipping label and fixed issues free of chargeand returned to me propmtly
    As for defense ammo federal hst is what i use. It cycles well in all my 1911 and performs well in tests. Lastly it is available in 50 boxes for around $28 http://www.policehq.com/Products/FC-45HST
    No, I Didn't Know My Hammer Was Cocked, Thank You!

Posts liked by others
    I picked up a Heinie PDP last week and have already put 450 rounds through it without fail. It is my first Nighthawk, but I am confident you will be pleased with yours.

Posts liked by others
    I got mine last Dec. 28 alongside a Predator 2 as well. Browns, Baers, Wilsons and Nighthawks are rare in my neck of the woods. So when I had the opportunity to lay my hands on a couple of hawks I didn't pass up the chance.

So far, I've got 300 rounds down range through the Heine. It works flawlessly with the factory supplied magazines and my other ones too (Wilson Combat etms, Ed Brown 8 rounders, and Tripp A8 magazines).

During the first range trip, I was having some discomfort with my grip as I would try to get as high a grip on the pistol as possible.

After a few days of handling the pistol and based on today's range trip, I think I've come to understand the source of discomfort. I believe it has to do with the interplay of what Heine calls his proprietary thin frame, the scallops on the front strap and the thin grips. I have small hands and all my other 1911s have either 25 or 30 lpi checkering. So if i gripped as tightly as i normally would on my pistols with the standard checkering, the scallops would actually cause some discomfort. I figure the scallops are rendered in such a manner that there is greater distance between the peaks and valleys in this type of grip treatment versus the standard 25 or 30 lpi checkering. So by gripping the pistol in my usual manner, the peaks would dig more into my hand in a more pronounced fashion, thus causing the discomfort. By easing the intensity of my grip slightly, I was able to avoid similar discomfort --- issue solved. Just something to keep in mind in case you encounter a similar issue.

I like the red fiber optic sight although my near sightedness would probably benefit from a fiber optic with a slightly wider diameter. I have a preference for plain black rear sights for range shooting or bright light conditions. The barn style rear sight (that's how I would describe the rear sight picture) makes it easy to aim when going for controlled, relaxed shooting. For fast shooting and quick follow up shots, I still prefer the rear battle sights of my Wilson. I'd love to see how this sight set up compares to my gold bead, 10-8 rear sights I have on a build I currently have on order.

Below is a pic of about 80 rounds at 5 meters in successive strings with very little intervals between shots. Needlessly to say the pistol is far more accurate than I am. I am pleased with the craftsmanship, fit and feel on this pistol. I also love the fact that the serrations, one piece mag well with a rounded heel are all incorporated into the base design --- those are specs I would have wanted as options if they weren't already included.

I am very pleased with the black nitride finish which leaves out any of the silver etching that comes with pistols rendered in Permakote as I much prefer the billboards and slide markings remain plain. I would describe the finish as satin black with a deep smokiness to it. Just beautiful. Another thing to keep in mind with the nitride finish is its sensitivity to harsh and aggressive copper and lead solvents. While I understand treatment process has since been adjusted to address this after 2012, the accompanying literature still warns of this issue. So this is a precaution I still intend to follow since I don't have the option to send anything back to Nighthawk for repairs from where I live. And Gibbs lubricant isn't available in my neck of the woods --- gotta work something out with my dealer to keep me supplied.

Overall, I am pleased so far with the fact that I added this to my collection. I think you picked an excellent range gun. I have no experience with how fiber optics stand up to carry use but it isn't very difficult to replace fiber optic rods.

Posts liked by others
    I'm having a little trouble, with... scale: is this an IPSC pistol target?
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Looks like the IPSC "Classic" (amoeba) target.
    Best I can tell, the A zone is 15 cm = 5.9" wide.

Posts liked by others
    Well the problem is that if the A zone is 15cm, I don't think these wholes are .45" in diameter... hence the scale issue I mentioned further up.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    I am very glad to have come across this post as I in the market for this same pistol. Now I just need to find one!!!