Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, TandemKros or Tekmat, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Taurus / PT 1911 issues

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Taurus / PT 1911 issues

I bought the Taurus PT 1911 through Cheaper Than Dirt in June 2012. I have put approximately 300 rounds through it, mainly factory ammo. I am writing to voice my dissatisfaction with this gun and Taurus customer service. The gun sticks back after each shot. I have to pull the slide back and release to get the next round to chamber. On top of that, the left safety lever fell out of the gun and on the floor today. I contacted Taurus customer service and I have to pay the shipping back to Miami in order to get this gun fixed. So much for their lifetime warranty if it costs you, after paying $600 or so for the gun, to have it fixed.

Posts liked by others
    The safety seems like a common problem with the PT1911. If mine ever has an issue I think I'll go for a fix outside of Taurus. The slide sticking back I wouldn't know much about. Maybe you could get it to a 1911 doctor & have it fixed right?

Posts liked by others
    Is the slide sticking back or locking open? If it's locking open the rounds in the magazine may be activating the slidestop. Look inside the ejection port and see if the round in the mag is touching the slidestop. A small amount of the area of the slidestop being touched by the bullet can be removed with a file. Dress it down just enough to stop the premature slidelock.
    "Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." --Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by TJacobs
    So much for their lifetime warranty if it costs you, after paying $600 or so for the gun, to have it fixed.
    When Taurus first introduced their 1911, it was selling for about $500 and Taurus claimed it included $500 worth of "extras."

Manufacturers don't give anything away, so it should be obvious that the only way to put $500 worth of "extras" on a $500 product is to start with a product that's worth ________ [fill in the blank].
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 27th November 2012 at 17:43.

Posts liked by others
    Here we go with another PT1911 bashing thread. I dare say there have been problems posted on this site on just about every 1911 made to include semi-custom and custom pistols. Taurus did have a problem about two years ago with the “right” side safety lever coming loose and that defect has be corrected since I have not seen any postings lately. I can say the cost of producing a 1911 pistol can and does vary greatly due to a number of factors. Labor cost I would say is the chief contributor as is buying parts versus making your own. If Taurus said they put $500 in upgrades into a gun they are selling for $500 I would say that is very difficult to do unless it costs you nothing to produce the gun.

I am sure if Taurus sold the PT1911 for lets say $1500 there would be a different opinion of the gun. I am satisfied with mine, it has no problems, it has not fallen apart, it is very accurate now as it was out of the box and I am pushing 4000 rounds with it.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon
    When Taurus first introduced their 1911, it was selling for about $500 and Taurus claimed it included $500 worth of "extras."

Manufacturers don't give anything away, so it should be obvious that the only way to put $500 worth of "extras" on a $500 product is to start with a product that's worth ________ [fill in the blank].
    Realistically speaking the PT1911 does come equipped with what other manufactures would charge over $500 to add to their bone stock 1911's, and that has been ducumented and explained through their in house manufacturing of the complete pistol, and being one of the leaders of MIM technology surely doesn't hurt.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

Posts liked by others

Icon17

I like your remarks and I love my PT1911.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by TJacobs
    The gun sticks back after each shot. I have to pull the slide back and release to get the next round to chamber.
    Do you have any 1911 magazines other than the Taurus factory mags? If so, does the issue happen with the other magazines?

AFAIK a large percentage of failures with 1911s can be traced back to the magazines. The first thing I did when I bought my first 1911 was buy a bunch of extra magazines, a few Chip McCormack PowerMags and the rest Wilson Combat.

I've has a PT1911 for several years now, and I've never had a FTE, FTF, unexpected slide lockback or failure of the slide to lock back when using the CMC or Wilson magazines. I've had a few failure to lock back with the factory mags.
    The people should not fear their government. Government should fear the people.

Posts liked by others
    I have to agree with 11 Bravo. My PT1911 was purchased used in mint cond. The first thing I did was replace the safety and not with an ambi. Pistol works and functions great and does have a lot of extras on it for a base price.I bought a Chip McCormick extra power mag for it and I could not get the slide to GO FORWARD. Talk about extra power!!! Did some filing to the mag and now it works, just won't hold the slide back when emply. LOVE my Taurus 1911. Am going to buy a second.
    "Any club that would have me as a member, I wouldn't want to join." Groucho Marx