Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: airsoft 1911 recommendation needed

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

airsoft 1911 recommendation needed

I'm considering getting an airsoft pistol for winter practice. A single stack with no rail is what I need because of my holsters. I've seen some pistols with beavertails and enhanced thumb safeties. That's what I'm looking for. Your opinions are needed. I don't have any local airsoft shooters to get info from.
    Cocked & Locked since 1911

Posts liked by others
    Do you have a price range? Prices can range from around $20 for a spring-action pistol to well over $200 for a green gas operated pistol.

We reviewed a lot of airsoft pistols, in different price ranges, in our "Project Airsoft" a few years ago. Have you read through those reviews?

http://forum.m1911.org/forumdisplay.php?f=101
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Hawkmoon, thanks for the reply. I am hoping for a price under $300.00. I have read the reviews and many other articles. Most do not contain the actual price paid. I don't need the MSRP as that is usually not real world. I am looking for actual user input, not just new product reviews. Most of the reviews on this forum are 7 or 8 years old so maybe owners who purchased then can give me their impressions of how the guns held up over the years. Maybe some forum member has a used pistol for sale. Trying to keep it in the family, so to speak.
    Cocked & Locked since 1911

Posts liked by others
    Re - airsofts and pricing:

A lot of those tests were about Tokio Marui or Western Arms pistols, and various modified versions of them. These are the best and, by and large, most expensive airsofts.

To choose what's right for you, you need to be clear about what you want it for. If you simply want to do some practice and aren't too troubled about hard-wearing appearance, there are perfectly acceptable, cheaper options than these. Weitech (usually referred to as WE) comes to mind.

I got a widebody Para lookalike from them, and it worked just fine. I alreadt had another widebody by TM, lightly modified by the seller. At first, I was taken aback by how inferior the WE pistol felt, in terms of its fit and finish. I even managed to get paint off the thumb safety, merely from thumbing it on and off.

The fact was, though, I paid just over 100$ for it, which was less than half what the (vastly superior) TM had cost me. And despite the flaking finish, the thing was just as reliable as the better model (which is to say, it worked 100% of the time). So for practice purposes, it fits my needs just fine.

Here's my thread about it, with my impressions.
    http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=87701

And an even older one, about the TM:
    http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=59676

WE sells a big variety of more conventional 1911 models, with or without beavertails.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    I don't know if they still sell it, but for just practice the $50 (+/-) Caspian is as serviceable as more expensive models. I had one. The past tense is because I lent it to a friend to try out, and it hasn't come home yet. He liked it so much he keeps it in his shop/garage for ... practice.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Sorry, you asked for pricing and I didn't give any for mine. I don't remember exact numbers, but instead here's a single-stack 1911 from WE, whose quality ought to be similar to mine, that I linked above:
    http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_inf...oducts_id=4381

As you can see, it costs some way below your budget.

If you go with one of these (or really, any 1911 airsoft from TM or WE) you will also need some heavier than normal plastic BBs. The regular ones fly upward, if you shoot beyond 5-7 yards or so. Be sure to include some .25g or even .30g BBs with your order.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Last edited by Spyros; 2nd November 2012 at 13:10.

Posts liked by others
    I just read about the Ignite Black OPS full metal Scorpian Professional Grade Co2 pistol sold at Walmart for around $75.
    Most ratings I have found are pretty good for the price.The only thing I don't like is being a dedicated Co2 pistol. It shoots hard and fast at 425-450 and is said to be a bit of a gas hog. It would have to go through a lot of gas to cost what a range session cost.
    I am looking at picking one up this week unless I find info that changes my mind.